Job Title: Advocacy and Governance Advisor
Location: Yola, Adamawa
Job Type: Full Time – Local
- The Governance and Advocacy Advisor will provide technical, management, and strategic vision to the implementation of the governance and advocacy component by working with the project staff, national partners, to ensure that the program meets performance-based targets on-time and within budget, as per EU requirements.
- S/he will coordinate governance and advocacy programming in the building of community trust; develop and deliver on advocacy objectives.
- S/He will work closely with the project team to strengthen the linkages between formal governance structures and community conversations.
About the Project
- Search with support from the EU is starting an 18 months project titled “Contributing to the mitigation of conflict over natural resources between farmer and herder communities in Adamawa State, Nigeria (COMITAS)”. The project pursues four specific objectives: First, it will aim to strengthen traditional conflict resolution in the targeted locations in Adamawa state to support conflict prevention and mitigation efforts. Secondly, this project will aim to improve trust in authorities’ commitment to providing security and adequate resource management to help prevent communities to turn towards violence. The third specific objective of the project is to address the root causes of conflict between farmer and herder communities over natural resources and lastly, the fourth specific objective of this project is to improve intra and inter-communal perceptions. The project will be implemented in Demsa, Girei, Numan, Lamurde, and Song local government areas in Adamawa State, Yola in Adamawa State.
- Advanced university degree in Political Science, International Relations, International Development, Development Studies, Management, Social Sciences or other relevant fields
- Additional education in conflict management, advocacy and governance for peacebuilding, communication for social change would be a strong asset;
- At least 5 years of relevant professional experience, including solid experience in managing international programmes and projects in policy, advocacy and governance
- Proven experience in the EU compliance issues
- Working experience in international or non-governmental institutions, United Nations, and in particular European Union advocacy and governance-related projects and programmes is considered as an advantage;
- Proven high-level knowledge and experience in providing expert advisory and/or consultancy services in the area of advocacy and governance;
- Experience in report writing in a concise, lucid, and comprehensible manner;
- Wide-ranging experience in development project implementation at the national and regional levels;
- Experience working in North East Nigeria strongly preferred.
Additional Relevant Experience:
- Good knowledge of the local languages will be an asset.
- Knowledge of civil society organisations, government agencies, private sector companies and international development agencies, with experience of working in partnership within some of these sectors;
- Written and verbal communications skills including the ability to synthesise complicated policy issues into digestible products and to deal with both elite and popular media and specialist and non-specialist audiences;
- Experience of partnership building, with experience of influencing stakeholders and establishing and maintaining strong partnerships;
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment and strong interpersonal skills;
- Commitment to SFCG’s aims and a clear understanding of the links between policy, lobbying, campaigning and media work and of how policy change can be achieved through effective advocacy;
- Organisational skills and attention to detail;
- Ability to responding flexibly to opportunities and requests sometime with little notice;
- Ability to manage competing priorities in a rapidly changing environment;
- Demonstrate capacity to adapt to a multi-cultural context, and tolerance and respect to issues related to gender, religion, race and nationality;
- Treats all people fairly without favouritism and solves problems in collaborative ways.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Interested candidates should send the following to our Career Portal:
- Current resume
- Cover Letter (which includes expectations of compensation and projected start date)
Note: Only applicants invited for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.
Deadline: December 15, 2020
|Job Category||Advertising/ Social Media/ Marketing/ PR|