JOB TITLE: Agricultural Specialist
JOB LOCATIONS: Makurdi, Benue and Birnin Kebbi, Kebbi
Job Category: Programming
Duration of Assignment: 7 Months
Job Field: Agriculture / Agro-Allied
Program / Department Summary
- Mercy Corps, an international humanitarian NGO and has been operating in Nigeria since 2012 and is looking for Agricultural Specialists to be based in Kebbi state or Benue State, covering Benue/Ebonyi or Kebbi/Niger to support the implementation of a rapid COVID response program through Mercy Corps’ USAID – funded Feed the Future Nigeria Rural Resilience Activity.
- The rapid response program will support vulnerable populations and livelihoods through Cash for Work and strengthen supply chains through smart Cash Subsidies.
General Position Summary
- The Agricultural Specialist assists the State Manager in the daily smooth running of the agricultural component of the COVID Response Program.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Oversee the implementation of all Feed The Future Nigeria Rural Resilience Activity programs in the state location supporting agriculture, fisheries, and livestock industries and producers and vendor associations and businesses.
- Conduct surveys need assessments, data and information collection as and when required for the cash for business COVID response aspect of the program.
- Participate in agricultural and community meetings to identify priorities.
- Monitor and maintain coordination with the village and sub-district/district heads for all areas in which the COVID response program operates.
- Bring to the attention of the State Manager areas where formal agreements should be made e.g. MOUs with government partners around recovery.
- Participate in NGO and INGO meetings on agriculture and represent MC as requested in coordination forums related to agriculture.
- Ensure all agriculture programs activities are in line with government strategy.
- Maintain links to sources of technical assistance and information and disseminate technical information and assistance to program assistants where necessary.
- Coordinate closely with the Senior Officer – Cash Grants/Cash for Work, village liaison officers, other technical staff, Cash for Work project staff and operational staff to ensure project activities are integrated into an overall return plan.
- Maintain, monitor and measure project implementation data entry. Keep the State Manager informed at all times. Work with M&E to track project impact, standards, and operational compliance.
- Promote and adhere to the principles and objectives of the recovery programs, Rural Resilience Activity and Mercy Corps.
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries:
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically
to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
- Reports Directly To: State Manager
- Works Directly With: Senior Officer – Cash Grants/Cash for Work and Operations Team.
- The successful candidate will provide effective support to the USAID Feed The Future Nigeria Rural Resilience Activity/Mercy Corps program teams in Benue/Ebonyi or Kebbi/Niger.
- S/he will be capable of multi-tasking, rapid decision-making, have initiative, drive and a lot of energy, as well as high emotional intelligence, constructive mentoring skills and proven experience with capacity building.
- S/he will be committed to long-term program sustainability and the delivery of high-impact activities at the community level.
- Successful Mercy Corps team members have a strong commitment to teamwork and accountability, thrive in evolving and challenging environments, and make effective written and verbal communication a priority.
Knowledge and Experience
- Candidates should possess a Bachelor’s Degree / Master’s Degree with a minimum of 5 years work experience.
- Must be able to work independently and show initiative; experience with NGOs a plus.
- Report writing experience.
- Ability to make recommendations for improvement.
- Strong computer (MS Office), filing, and organizational skills.
- Good spoken and written English, knowledge of local languages a plus.
- Willingness to travel throughout the project areas.
Living Conditions / Environmental Conditions
- This position is based in Kebbi State or Benue State and requires frequent travel to field locations and across state travel.
- Security in the field locations requires additional vigilance and accessibility will be reassessed continuously. Access to good medical services may be limited. Phone communication, internet, electricity and water is available but might be erratic.
- Mercy Corps Team members represent the agency both during and outside of work hours when deployed in a field posting. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and Mercy Corps policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all locations.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online (Benue)
Click here to apply online (Kebbi)
Deadline: August 3, 2021
|Job Category||Agriculture / Agro Allied|