JOB TITLE: Communications Officer
JOB LOCATIONS: Maiduguri (Borno), Abuja (FCT)
Contract Type: National Contract
- DRC is seeking the services of a committed and competent Communications Officer to join DRC’s Quality Assurance Unit. Interested persons will be reporting to the Quality Assurance Manager. The Communications Officer will work to increase local, national and international understanding of DRC’s work and role in Nigeria through high-quality communications products developed in line with DRC guidelines, donor commitments, protection principles and ethical standards.
- Under the direction of the QAM, develop, implement, and monitor a communication and visibility plan to facilitate better understanding among partners, donors, beneficiaries and host communities, media, the general public, and government stakeholders of DRC Nigeria’s work and role;
- Update DRC Nigeria’s Communications Strategy on an annual basis;
- Write, edit and produce communication products promoting the contribution of DRC Nigeria to the crisis response;
- Undertake field visits to produce creative and engaging communications products to raise awareness of the crisis in northeast Nigeria and the humanitarian response efforts of DRC;
- Maintain and update DRC Nigeria country profile documents, fact sheets, and presentations for external audiences;
- Engage with NIF Communications Working Group and other relevant working groups and networks to ensure DRC representation and participation;
- Ensure timely publication and distribution of media content on the DRC Nigeria country webpage, DRC Nigeria Twitter account and HQ managed accounts;
- Ensure all DRC and donor visibility requirements and communications commitments are met;
- Provide training on communications and visibility to DRC Nigeria staff to improve contributions to communications initiatives and staff understanding of DRC and donor guidelines;
- Ensure there is appropriate age and gender awareness and considerations in all DRC Nigeria communications;
- Ensure all public multimedia materials have the necessary consent forms on file;
- Advise DRC Nigeria staff on media, public information, awareness raising and visibility issues in line with DRC and donor guidelines, protection principles and ethical standards;
- Contribute communications inputs to proposal development based on donor guidelines;
- In coordination with Supply Chain, maintain and update framework agreements related to visibility products;
- Provide support to QAM and SMT on media request and interview opportunities;
- In coordination with the QAM, liaise with DRC West Africa regional office and headquarters communications focal points as required; and,
- Perform other duties as assigned including support to other components of the Quality Assurance Unit.
- At least 1 year of professional experience working in journalism or related field such as media / public relations
- Excellent writing, editing and communications skills in English required
- Advanced skill in graphic design, web, social media and video production evidenced by a portfolio of communications products produced by the candidate;
- Demonstrated experience in training and coaching;
- Demonstrated capacity to work collaboratively in a multi-cultural environment with competing priorities, tight deadlines, and in a complex emergency context; and,
- Ability to live and work in an insecure and high stress environment.
- Willingness to travel to other DRC base in Nigeria
- University degree in a relevant field such as English, social sciences, public relations, journalism, communications or similar;
- Certification or equivalent professional experience in graphic design, web, social media and video production, or similar.
- Previous working experience with humanitarian agencies
- Experience working with displaced populations.
- Good understanding of the context in Northeast Nigeria
DRC as an Employer:
By working in DRC, you will be joining a global workforce of around 8000 employees in 40 countries. We pride ourselves on our:
- Professionalism, impact & expertise
- Humanitarian approach & the work we do
- Purpose, meaningfulness & own contribution
- Culture, values & strong leadership
- Fair compensation & continuous development
Salary and Conditions
- In accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment. The income will be subject to statutory deductions as per applicable Nigeria laws. The employee is responsible for the tax returns.
Deadline: May 31, 2021
|Job Category||Knowledge Management / Communications Officer|