The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives.
Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to people affected by war or disaster.
At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
Job Title: Community Engagement Assistant – Governance
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
- The IRC is seeking two Urban Resilience Assistant to support it’s From Response to Resilience project in Maiduguri, Nigeria. Through the project, we will build the resilience of the people, neighborhoods, and governmental systems of urban Maiduguri to address the risks the city currently faces. We will implement this project while supporting the local integration of internally displaced persons wishing to reside within Maiduguri permanently.
- As Community Engagement Assistant, you will assist the Community Engagement Officers to collaborate with Maiduguri’s communities, ensuring that the project is effectively implemented on schedule and to maximum benefit for Maiduguri’s residents, in tune with their needs and preferences.
- You will support the implementation of the three-year Area Based Approach project, including the establishment and oversight of community-based feedback and complaint mechanisms, mobilizing local communities, and organizing community engagement sessions.
- The Community Engagement Assistants will be based in Maiduguri. S/he reports to the Senior Urban Resilience Manager. The Community Engagement Assistant shall carry out any other tasks as required by supervisors.
- Bachelors degreee in Social science, Economics, International Affairs/Relations or related field is required. Masters degree in Internationl Development, Urban Planning or public policy related field is a plus.
- At least 1 year of professional humanitarian/development experience; Experience with neighborhood-based projects highly desirable.
- Experience with community engagement and participatory processes, including: previous facilitation of group work with relevant populations, active participant of sectoral/social groups, and experience with capacity building or training exercises.
- Knowledge of urban resilience concepts a plus.
- Good communication skills (written and verbal), cultural sensitivity, flexibility, ability to improvise, team player.
- Able to solve complex problems through a reciprocal and consultative approach
- Ability to live and productively work under stress while maintain a sense of humor.
|Job Category||NGO / Community Services|