Community Mobilisation Assistant at Save the Children Nigeria
Save the Children Nigeria is a non-profit organisation in over 120 countries, with the aim to care for children. Save the Children Nigeria is currently seeking out to work with more brilliant minds like you
Job Title: Community Mobilisation Assistant
Job ID: 190003FR
Employee Status: Fixed Term
- Support the State team to ensure commitment and involvement of local authorities and community members in the programme; and support community mobilization to ensure participation, sustainability of the programme as well as that the voices of community members, including women and children are heard.
Scope of Role:
- Reports to: CPIE Officer
- Staff directly reporting to this post: None
Key Areas of Accountability
Objective 1 -Strategy Development:
- Identify policy and practice change, on the basis of Save the Children’s experience, that would promote and protect the rights of children.
- Support in formulating key advocacy messages and targets from lessons learned, assessments, research and evidence gained through project implementation on WASH, child Protection.
- Ensure that voices of children form the basis of Save the Children’s advocacy strategy.
- Maintain a strategic overview of issues affecting child Nutrition, monitoring trends in the external environment and inputting to organisational strategy and planning processes.
- Ensure Save the Children visibility is seen in the state
- Actively participate in all Save the Children and CSO Coalition driven activities in the state
- Engage with the state and local governments in policies review when needed
- Facilitate meetings of the coalition groups
- Prepare monthly reports of activities carried out
- Support any other Save the Children-led activities as may be required
Objective 2 – Influencing:
- Develop good knowledge of local and national government structures, parliamentary and political processes and key decision making structures and how to influence them.
- Initiate and support lobbying, communications and other activities to inform and persuade policy makers, including donors and politicians, of the value of Save the Children’s policy recommendations.
- Support in building systems for research, analysis and documentation that underpin evidence based advocacy and influencing at state and national levels.
- Develop a feedback mechanism for communicating Save the Children programmes
- Produce reports, briefing papers and presentations for internal and external audiences, as directed.
Objective 3 – Collaboration & Representation:
- Develop and sustain strategic relationships with other agencies engaged in advocacy and policy work.
- Support in maintaining a network of external contacts with key individuals in the government, NGO sector, civil society and the media.
- Support in facilitating capacity building of staff from Save the Children and partner agencies in advocacy and communications.
- Represent Save the Children at various policy forums and advocacy opportunities at state and LGA levels, as directed.
- as a spokesperson for Save the Children to a variety of external audiences including policy makers and the media, as directed. Act
Objective 4 – Programme Development:
- Provide technical support on voice and community mobilization to State programme team
- Develop a community mobilisation strategy in collaboration with the team and ensure implementation
- Train and mentor Local consultants – Community support
- In collaboration with the rest of the programme team prepare and facilitate trainings
- Participate in the preparation or review of programme monitoring and evaluation tools where necessary
- Ensure correct use of programme monitoring and evaluation (recording) tools, including analysis
Skills & Experience
- A degree in Communications, Journalism, Social Work, Psychology, Health, or related Social Science field with minimum of a year experience in community mobilization/campaign will be given priority consideration.
- Must have completed NYSC
- Substantial experience in advocacy and policy development / research in the development context.
- Good understanding of the possibilities and tactics for influencing decision and policy makers, politicians, donors, and other key actors.
- Knowledge of the media and its role in raising awareness and shaping public policy.
- Good understanding of strategies for achieving child protection, Psychosocial programming policies through participatory processes, and the links with gender, diversity and other aspects of identity.
- Excellent conceptual and analytical skills and demonstrable ability to think strategically, innovatively and practically to ensure achievement of desired change objectives.
- Ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of audiences at local, state and national levels.
- Ability to build and maintain relationships with partner agencies and key contacts in the government, NGO, civil society (coalitions) and media sectors.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to effectively handle multiple tasks and meet strict deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, flexibility, adaptability and ability to work effectively as a member of a team.
- Good computer skills (word processing, spreadsheets, email / internet) and ability to be self-supporting in most administrative tasks.
- Fluent English language skills (written and verbal).
- Commitment to the values, mission, aims and policies of Save the Children.
- Experience in training others in advocacy techniques and influencing tactics.
- Prior work experience in advocacy awareness creation and community engagement in Nigeria.
Skills and Behaviours (Our Values in Practice)
- Accuracy and timeliness in all areas of responsibility
- High level of accuracy in work, and ability to analyse complex sets of relationships and situations
- Holds self and others accountable
- Zeal to work with Children
- Future-orientated, thinks pro-actively
- Working effectively with stakeholders to achieve common goals
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
- Designing more effective admin systems
- Willing to take disciplined risks
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency, demonstrates highest levels of integrity.
|Job Category||NGO / Community Services|
|Application Deadline||7th October, 2019.|