Job Title: Consultant to Support the Development of National Tobacco Control Communication Plan
Ref No: 1905477
Grade: No grade
Contractual Arrangement: Individual service contractor
Contract duration: 30 days
- According to the most current Nigeria Global Adult Tobacco Survey (GATS), about 5.6% of Nigerian adults aged 15 years and older (4.5 million adults) currently use tobacco products (4.1 million are men and 0.45 million are women). The most recent Global Youth Tobacco Survey (2008) showed that between 2-6% of young people in secondary school use tobacco. These surveys demonstrate that a significant number of people in Nigeria use tobacco.
- Tobacco use is associated with a wide range of non-communicable diseases (NCDs) including cancers, diabetes, heart diseases and others. Therefore, curbing the use of tobacco is a global priority in the fight against NCDs. Nigeria has ratified the Framework Convention on Tobacco Control (FCTC) and have taken bold steps towards the domestication at the national level. The Tobacco control Act was signed into law in 2015 to reduce tobacco advertising, promotion and sales to the barest minimum. The regulations that will ensure that implementation of this Act have also been approved by both legislative arms of the country.
- This necessitates the need for communication plan to outline the critical steps that need to be taken to ensure that critical level policymaker, law enforcement agents and general public are well educated on the contents of the 2015 Tobacco control Act. The communication plan will also facilitate stakeholders to take actions that will align with the Act and its implementation. In addition, the plan is also critical in achieving population level behavior change to reduce tobacco intake.
- In this vain, the Tobacco control unit of the Federal Ministry of Health intends to develop the National Tobacco Control Communication. Plan
- This assignment will focus on providing technical support to the Tobacco Control Unit of the Federal Ministry of Health in developing a National Tobacco Control Communication Plan. This assignment also entails developing key messages and media materials that will be used to implement the communication plan.
The consultant will develop a communication plan that meets the following key objectives;
- Achieve enforcement of the 2015 National Tobacco Control Act
- To reduce intake of tobacco among Nigerians
- To reduce second hand tobacco smoke
- The design of the communication plan will draw from various theories of change and conceptual frameworks that are relevant to achieving the objectives outlined above.
Description of Duties
- Conduct a desk review to understand the policy landscape of tobacco control and social drivers of tobacco use in Nigeria
- Develop the zero draft of the communication plan
- Facilitate a stakeholder meeting to review the zero draft
- Develop the first draft of the communication plan
- Develop the templates for message and materials development based on stakeholder inputs
- Facilitate a stakeholder meeting to finalize the communication plan
- Facilitate a media and message development workshop to develop key messages and media materials
Qualification / Experience And Skills
- A post-graduate degree in either public health, social science or any related relevant field is required for this position
- Five years of progressive experience in the area of social and behaviour change communication;
- Knowledge and/or experience of tobacco control
- Ability to establish effective working relationships with government, external partners and donors;
- Excellent communication, presentation and writing skills;
- Computer skills, including internet navigation and various Office applications; and
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
|Job Category||Consulting / Business Strategy/ Planning|