JOB TITLE: Environmental Specialist
JOB LOCATION: Abuja, Nigeria
- Supervise project compliance with the Environmental and Social Framework (ESF) and Safeguard Policies as provided in the environmental and social assessment documents and management plans.
- Participate in project technical discussions and field visits.
- Review project reports and build effective working relationships with the project implementation agency to ensure proper implementation of the ESF.
During both preparation and implementation:
- Go beyond narrow policy compliance to look for opportunities to support clients in achieving the project development goals.
- Work closely with the project task team and the social development specialist to ensure that projects are implemented in an environmentally and socially sustainable manner.
- Enhance the Client’s capacity to manage environmental and social risks and impacts of projects.
- Provide training to: i) Environment Specialists of various World Bank funded project implementation agency and ii) staff of the line ministries.
- Provide support in the implementation of ENB operations in Nigeria including:
- Day-to-day follow up on project implementation; review procurement plans and TORs submitted by the client to ensure alignment with the project objectives and consistency with World Bank fiduciary policies;
- Participate in implementation support missions under the guidance of the Task Team Leader and follow up on project progress;
- Elaborate mission aide-memoires and ensure timely execution of missions’ action plans.
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in Engineering, Environmental Science, Natural Resource Management, Geography, or a related field from a recognized university
- 5+ years of proven, relevant professional experience including environmental risk management (safeguards) and project management,
- Strong knowledge of environmental and climate issues in Nigeria
- Strong analytical skills, ability to think strategically, analyze and synthesize diverse qualitative and quantitative environmentally related data and information
- Familiarity with the World Bank Group’s organizational structure, its Policies, and procedures; experience working on World Bank Group projects is preferred
- Knowledge of Bank Environmental and Social Standards is preferred
- Good team player who can work as a member of a multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural team, motivate and lead group efforts and network effectively across boundaries; ability to function independently, with a high degree of motivation, flexibility, and reliability.
- Excellent oral communication and writing skills in English and French to deliver information effectively in support of team or workgroup.
World Bank Group Core Competencies:
- The World Bank Group offers comprehensive benefits, including a retirement plan; medical, life and disability insurance; and paid leave, including parental leave, as well as reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities.
- We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.
- Required Language(s): English, French.
Deadline: November 18, 2021