JOB TITLE: Finance Officer
JOB LOCATION: Damaturu, Yobe
- Under the direct supervision of the Damaturu Base Manager, and technical supervision from the Finance Team Leader in Maiduguri, the Finance Officer, assisted by a Finance Assistant, will be in charge of the daily finance and accounting management of Damaturu base.
- The Finance Officer will work on overall financial monitoring and support capacity building for Damaturu office and partners and to practice rigorous financial control mechanism.
- He will make sure that financial procedures, policies, and requirements are implemented in compliance with DRC and Donors and to contribute to the achievement of DRC Vision, Mission & Values.
Responsibility 1: Management of the Office Cash and Bi-weekly/monthly Cash Flow Forecasts
- Prepare the bank transfer instructions for suppliers’ payment on time for Damaturu office.
- Make payments on field when required by program team.
- Manage the cash box for cash payment when necessary.
- Collect financial information from program team and prepare the monthly cash flow forecast and send it to the Finance/Accounting Specialist/ Finance Coordinator.
- Ensure good relations with financial partners (banks, PFA, etc.);
Responsibility 2: Hold The Cash Book with Supporting Documents nn High Quality at Weekly/Monthly Basis:
- Ensure accurate recording of all transactions made by cash or bank; monitor timely receipt and expenditure returns from programs team and ensure correct data entry and reconciliation in the cash book; ensure that work advances are accounted for in line with DRC and donors’ financial guidelines.
- Manages daily operation in the area of accounting system which is in line with DRC and donor’s requirements; maintain cash and bank transactions; ensure the use of proper and correct budget code/ budget lines; monitor cash payment and ensure that the records or entries are up-to-date in the cash books; pay attention to the fluctuating exchange rate used for any transactions paid in dollars USD.
- Comply with Finance and Procurement guidelines when dealing with any transactions; provide initiative to review current guidelines and propose relevant recommendations.
- Check the justification of operational advances before making payment and ensure its settlement in a reasonable time.
- Check and control the elements of accounting packages, including the consistency between cash book entries, physical counting, and balances.
- Proceed to the monthly closure of accounting: physical counting, editing of accounting documents (cover sheets), verification of supporting documents.
- Stamp monthly the invoices with the donor stamp and/or the stamp “paid”;
- Ensure proper financial documentation in Damaturu office; prepare well and send documentation to Yola in timely manner; follow the financial check-list which will be developed.
- Regularly track the expenditure in the BFU and advise the programs and support teams accordingly; monitor availability of funds along all budget lines and advise before approval by the Base Manager.
Responsibility 3: Management of Financial Assets and Liabilities of the Base:
- Record all assets and liabilities in the cash book on a weekly/monthly basis and follow properly their settlement.
- Ensure that all payments of suppliers are cleared on time
- Ensure a monthly reconciliation of all assets/liabilities in X-es overview received from the region office/Headquarter.
Responsibility 4: Management of the Archiving of Finance Records of the Base:
- Ensure monthly scanning of finance records and save them on finance hard drive/drop box.
- Update monthly the scanning report and share it with the Finance/Accounting Specialist/ Finance Coordinator.
- Ensure monthly archiving of finance records and their transfer to the archive room in Yola.
- Ensure that reallocation request of costs is archived in related finance records when previous allocation has been modified.
Responsibility 5: Tax Deduction and Remittance on Time:
- Ensure that the withholding taxes is well calculated, recorded in the cash book and paid on a monthly basis.
- Follow up on the staff statutory and taxes payment on a monthly basis and ensure that all receipts are collected and archived.
- Collect the taxes clearance certificate or credit notes when the payment is done.
- Ensure a good relationship with the tax offices of Damaturu
- With support of Finance/Accounting Specialist and/or Finance Coordinator, take the role of info-sharing with staff in relation to HR matters (PAYE, PENSION, NSITF, NHF Payment).
Other Kinds of Support Required for this Position:
- Participate in audits preparation/execution (compilation of audit requirements)
- Provide feedback and enhance internal controls to satisfy audit requirements; take part of providing data and records during the audit process; reports immediately on irregular spending to Finance/ Accounting Specialist or Finance Coordinator as deemed appropriate.
- Identify the technical problems encountered at Damaturu base to be addressed by the management.
- Provide technical support to the program team of Damaturu base;
- Take part in regular staff meeting in respect to the weekly tasks report in line with performance management.
Essential / Requirements
- University degree in Finance / Accounting / Commerce / Business Administration.
- At least two years work experience in field of finance/accounting/book keeping in an NGO or the commercial sector.
- Hands-on experience/skills in MS Excel (experience in working with formulas)
- Excellent organizational skills, self-motivated, proactive and able to accomplish set deadlines.
- Willing to meet deadlines with minimum supervision
- Autonomous and ready to take initiative to improve within her/his area of responsibility
- Fluency in written and spoken English. Fluency in local spoken languages.
- Good communication and teamwork spirit.
- Degrees preferably supplemented by technical or university courses related to Finance, Accounting, Administration and Business.
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- The knowledge of local Language will be considered an asset
Key Stakeholders: (internal and external)
- Programs staff
- Human resources staff
- Procurement and Logistics staff
- Finance staff of other bases staff
- CV and Cover Letter indicating and explaining the suitability to the position applied.
- Provide contact details (name, position, email address and tel. no.) of 3 professional non-related references, whereas 1 must be for the latest employer. Please do not attach any written recommendations.
- Applications should be addressed to: “Recruitment Manager” only.
- Applications can be sent through online www.drc.dk/about-drc/vacancies/current-vacancies.
- Only motivated applications that address the stipulated duties and meet the required qualifications, sent together with a CV, will be considered. CV-only applications will not be considered.
Deadline: June 9, 2021
|Job Category||Finance Officer - Receivables|