Head of Sub-Office at the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) are recruiting to fill for the position below;
Job Title: Head of Sub-Office
Job ID: 18416
Salary Grade: P5
Hardship Level: E
Family Location Type: Non-Family
Head of a UNHCR Sub Office (HoSO) is a senior managerial position within a given country operation. The incumbent carries the full delegated authority of the UNHCR Representative (or the country Manager) of the country, who will exercise entire supervisory managerial responsibility over the position. The position, on the other hand, provides all information on developments in relation to the protection (legal protection issues relating to the persons of concern to UNHCR), security (Physical security in relation to the UNCR staff and the persons of concern to UNHCR) and operational matters (programme and office management / administration) within the domain of its geographical area of responsibility to the UNHCR Representative (or the country manager) on a regular and timely manner. Subject to the specific legal or socio economic or security developments in the Area of Responsibility (AOR), Representative will direct and guide the Head of the Sub Office to take the most appropriate course of action. Concerning overall physical security concerns, HoSO will liaise directly with the competent UN security coordinator while keeping the UNHCR Representative fully informed.
While the functional responsibility of a Head of a Sub Office will always remain the same despite its grade level, the other parameters (therefore the depth and breadth of the competencies) such as the size of the population of concern to UNHCR, their specific legal/security concerns, volume of assistance, Number of operational / Implementing partners and the size of the Office (i.e. number of UNHCR staff and their grade levels) will determine the appropriate grade level. The operational autonomy also depends upon the same parameters/competencies.
As the most senior UNHCR staff member within the given geographical area, he/she is required to liaise with all the relevant senior government officials, security organs in the area, the Head of various Non-Governmental Organisations (both national and internationals based in the area), Civilian/tribal leaders/elders, local opinion makers and the local media net-work to ensure his/her assigned responsibilities are effectively and efficiently discharged.
As the extended field representative of UNHCR at the front line of High Commissioner’s operations, he/she remain as the effective advocate and assistant to the local authorities to ensure that the respective government authorities in the area implement their conventional responsibilities in favour of refugees and others of concern to UNHCR.
- The Convention concerning the treatment of asylum seekers, IDPs, refugees, returnees and the stateless, where applicable, is disseminated to the local authorities.
- UNHCR policies and standards are applied consistently in the AOR to ensure quality protection of populations of concern.
- A healthy, safe and respectful working environment is provided to the workforce in the AOR.
- Monitor and report on the implementation of refugee conventional responsibilities and international obligations of the local authorities Vis a Vis the population of concern to UNHCR within the given geographical area; based on local situations/developments make appropriate recommendation to the UNHCR Representative.
- Advocate and promote UNHCR standards concerning the treatment of asylum seekers, refugees and returnees as well as IDPs, where applicable; Advocate, promote and encourage the concerned authorities and local opinion makers to uphold established UNHCR standards that have become the international norms.
- Ensure that the basic needs of the concerned population are properly assessed with the participation of the beneficiaries themselves, the host governments and/or the competent Implementing partners and/or UNHCR itself.
- Subject to the needs, ensure that the planning, formulation and budgeting of identified assistance projects are done as per UNHCR programme cycle; upon approval of assistance project, ensure the timely implementation and rigorous monitoring of identified assistance activities
- Ensure through the subordinate staff that all deadlines for monitoring and reporting of UNHCR operational activities (i.e. include assistance as well as Administrative) are met on a regular basis.
- Manage all UNHCR resources, both human, financial/material, at an optimum level for the wellbeing of the concerned population and the UNHCR staff.
- Ensure that all security measures of UNHCR office (and residential, where ever applicable) compounds are always up to date; any security breaches and/or potential security threat should be reported immediately to competent UN security coordinator in the country.
- Ensure that staff welfare, both in terms of working and living conditions, are maintained at a satisfactory level within the constraints in the operational area; this requires remaining current in health and medical facilities locally available and evacuation options available in a moment of medical urgency.
- Guide, coach and advocate the subordinate staff to maintain highest standards of conduct and behaviour thorough one’s own practice and deeds.
- Prepare and submit regular reports, both verbally and written, to the UNHCR Representative. In the event of substantial telephone conversation that leads to specific action or non-action, it should be recorded and share with the other party.
- Any other responsibilities/functions deemed necessary or as delegated by the UNHCR Representative of the country in order to meet the level of the services in the organization.
- Represent UNHCR in inter-agency fora and with local authorities in the AOR.
- Enforce compliance with UNHCR’s global protection, programme, finance, human resources and security policies and standards.
- Submit project proposals for assistance to refugees and other persons of concern to UNHCR Representation in coordination with local authorities and NGOs
Essential Minimum Qualifications And Professional Experience Required
- Graduate (equivalent of a Master’s) degree in Management/Personnel Administration or Law or Political Science or International Relation or Economics or a related field plus minimum at least 11 years of relevant work experience. Undergraduate degree (equivalent of a BA/BS) plus 12 years or Doctorate degree (equivalent of a PhD) plus 10 years of previous relevant work experience may also be accepted.
- In-depth knowledge in all aspects of UNHCR mandate and its Field level application.
- Applied knowledge of protection principles, operational arrangements/standards in relation to protection, assistance, UNHCR office management and staff administration.
- Should be conversant in the current priorities in the organisation and existing mechanisms within the organisation to implement those priorities.
- Basic computer skills and working knowledge in MS office software.
- Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
Desirable Qualifications & Competencies
- Working experience both in UNHCR HQ and/or a Regional Office and the Field
- UNHCR Specific learning/training activities ( i.e. Learning Programme in Management & Operations)
- Knowledge of additional UN languages.
This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR Head of Sub Office (P5) positions. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates.
- C001L4 Accountability Level 4
- C002L4 Teamwork & Collaboration Level 4
- C003L4 Communication Level 4
- C004L4 Commitment to Continuous Learning Level 4
- C005L4 Client & Result Orientation Level 4
- C006L4 Organizational Awareness Level 4
- M001L4 Empowering and Building Trust Level 4
- M002L4 Managing Performance Level 4
- M006L4 Managing Resources Level 4
- M005L4 Leadership Level 4
- M003L4 Judgement and Decision Making Level 4
- M004L4 Strategic Planning and Vision Level 4
- X005L4 Planning and Organizing Level 4
- X001L4 Analytical Thinking Level 4
- X007L4 Political Awareness Level 4
|Job Category||Administration/ Office/ Operations, NGO / Community Services|
|Closing Date||9th October, 2019.|