Health Specialist, NOC is needed at the United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund (UNICEF)
JOB TITLE: Health Specialist, NOC
Job Number: 531019
LOCATION: Kaduna, Nigeria
Work Type: Temporary Appointment
For Every Child, Good Health!
Nigeria has the world’s second-highest number of deaths in children under five, losing around 2,700 every day from a ratio of 120 per 1,000 in 2016, although it has declined since 2003 down from more than 200 per 1,000. Only one out of three babies is delivered in a health facility. The poorest among Nigeria’s population continue to be most in peril, whatever their age. While there have been drops of 31 per cent and 26 per cent in under-five and infant mortality rates, respectively, over the last 15 years, the decline in deaths of newborns over the same period is just 20 per cent highlighting an urgent need to scale up interventions targeting the youngest in the country.
UNICEF’s programme in Nigeria supports the government’s vision of Universal Health coverage (UHC) through the revitalization of Primary Health Care) PHC). Our health programme focuses on supporting the federal and state governments to (1) roll out the one Primary Health Care center per ward’ strategy for achieving UHC, (2) Strengthen primary health care service delivery system, including routine immunization across the country (3) Focus on polio eradication and the polio end-game strategy and (4) educate and empower women to make more informed decisions about the health of their children.
How can you make a difference?
- A challenging and exciting opportunity has arisen within UNICEF Nigeria for a passionate and committed Health Specialist in the Kaduna Field Office
- Reporting to the Chief of Field Office, the Specialist supports the development and preparation of the health programmes/projects and is responsible for managing, implementing, monitoring, evaluating and reporting of progress an integrated health programmes/projects
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have:
- An Advanced University Degree in Public Health, Pediatric Health, Family Health, Health Research, Global / International Health, Health Policy and / or Management, Epidemiology or other health related Sciences
- A minimum of 5 years progressive professional experience in Health Systems Strengthening, Primary Health Care, public health, planning and management and/or in relevant areas of health care, health emergency/humanitarian preparedness, at the international level some of which preferably in a developing country is required. Relevant working experience in health care programme/project development and management in any UN system agency or organization is an asset.
- Oral and written proficiency in English is required.
- Knowledge of another official UN language or a local language is an asset
For every Child, you demonstrate:
- UNICEF’s values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA) and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
The functional competencies required for this post are:
- Leading and supervising
- Formulating strategies and concepts
- Relating and networking
- Deciding and Initiating action
- Applying technical expertise
|Job Category||Medical/ Healthcare / Pharmaceutical, NGO / Community Services|
|Deadline||19th April, 2020, 23:55:00 GMT+0100 (West Africa Standard Time).|