JOB TITLE: Laboratory Advisor
JOB LOCATION: Taraba, Nigeria
Work Type: Regular Full-Time
Reports to: State Epidemic Control Advisor
Categories: Technical/Clinical/Quality Improvement/Training
Start Date: October 2021
- Working under the supervision of the Taraba Epidemic Control Advisor (with additional technical guidance and direction of the Senior Laboratory Advisor) for the RISE project in Nigeria, the Laboratory Advisor will oversee the laboratory component of the RISE project working closely with the State Ministries of Health, the State Program Implementation Unit (SPIU) and laboratory departments in supported facilities and ad hoc laboratory personnel in Taraba State, Nigeria.
- The incumbent will be responsible for overseeing laboratory systems, strengthening laboratory activities as well as quality management support related to laboratory services. The incumbent will also oversee performance management and provide capacity building coordinationfor RISE at the State.
The State Laboratory Advisor will:
- Lead the implementation of state level laboratory strategic objectives of the RISE project with specific emphasis on optimizing laboratory monitoring of PLHIVs through Viral Load eligibility monitoring, timely sample collection and management as well as availability, documentation and use of Viral Load Results.
- Provide technical leadership in assigned LGAs and facilities, working with designated focal persons in the Taraba State Program Implementation Team (SPIU), to communicate HIV Surge urgencies and evidence-based performance optimization strategies.
- Collaborate with the Senior Laboratory Advisor to facilitate the development, review and implementation of laboratory QA/QC programs, Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and manuals for all laboratory related aspects of the RISE project.
- To provide mentorship and supervision to strengthen performance and quality of Laboratory Services through laboratory optimizers (or champions), facility and community case management teams for achieving linkage to optimized ART, client education and retention, and management of virologically unsuppressed clients.
- Coordinate facility and community resources and personnel to ensure performance management of Viral Load targets; including structured, sustainable capacity building and the application of Quality Improvement methodologies to progressively optimize Viral Load systems on the RISE project.
- Participate in the recruitment process, training and supervision of a team of Laboratory Officers and ad hoc laboratory personnel when required.
- Facilitate accurate laboratory specimen data reporting, routine laboratory data analysis and interpretation of laboratory results from the RISE project and provide feedback on ways to improve/streamline laboratory procedures and systems.
- Work closely with NiSRN Logistic Officers, 3PLs and health facilities to ensure that client samples for HIV VL, EID, CD4 and TB (from community and facility service delivery points) are correctly collected, processed, and transported and that results are returned in a timely manner.
- Provide technical assistance for Laboratorians in RISE supported facilities to ensure maintenance and efficient use of instrumentation for Flow cytometry for CD4 phenotyping and Gene Xpert for MTB/RIF diagnosis.
- Coordinate supply, management and reporting for laboratory consumables, reagents, and RTKs to prevent stock outs and eliminate wastages.
- Facilitate technical assistance for recency testing and HIV rapid testing continuous quality improvement program at supported HTS points, diagnosis of opportunistic infection and monitoring, and HIV viral load services.
- Provide technical assistance to strengthen laboratory systems through the implementation of ISO 15189 requirements and the SLMTA/SLIPTA accreditation processes
- Craft and share new initiatives and innovations that will efficiently drive the TMEC-RISE project to success.
- Review and provide regular updates on implementation of strategies for Laboratory Services to SO and CO Teams including laboratory specific reports, weekly and monthly presentations to State teams; contributions to monthly and quarterly State and Program reports as well as other updates based on request.
- Work closely with the State Epidemic Control Advisor and the Senior Laboratory Lead to develop project work plans, monitor progress towards program objectives and timelines, including regular reporting to and communication with RISE leadership, USAID,and ICAP in New York
- Work closely with the State Ministry of Health, SPIU team and other relevant Stakeholders to strengthen the State’s capacity for effective and efficient Laboratory Systems for patient diagnostics and monitoring; equipment maintenance; laboratory reference guides and standard operating procedures as well as infection prevention and control.
- Represent RISE in all Laboratory related Program and State Level Meetings and make presentations as it may be required.
- Document project training and technical assistance activities and contribute to the production and dissemination of technical reports, guides, manuals, success stories, and other printed resources and toolkits.
- Stay up-to-date and serve as a repository on new information and knowledge in ART clinical management and programming.
- Carry out any other tasks that may be assigned by the State Epidemic Control Advisor or Senior Laboratory Lead.
- Master’s Degree in Medical Laboratory Sciences or its equivalent.
Experience, Skills & Minimum Required Qualifications:
- At least 5 years experience in laboratory practice in the Health Sector preferably in a national or state leadership position with specific experience in HIV-related assays for PEPFAR programs.
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience in laboratory management, quality assurance, quality control, biosafety, document development, specimen management and use of electronic information systems within a laboratory context in resource-limited settings
- Knowledge/experience of procurement procedures and equipment/supply/stock tracking and inventory management.
- Demonstrated experience building the capacity of individuals and teams for laboratory systems optimization in HIV programs.
- Experience with lab-related data management systems including but not limited to Laboratory Information Management Systems (LIMS).
- High level of proficiency in relevant computer applications, particularly Excel
- Excellent interpersonal, management, and communication skills.
- Ability to work independently with strong problem-solving skills.
- Fluent English oral and written communication skills; ability to interact professionally in English and oversee development of comprehensive program reports
- Travel within Taraba State, Nigeria conducting site visits with occasional travel outside of assigned state.
Deadline: September 10, 2021
|Job Category||Scientists / Laboratory Scientists/Assistants/Attendants|