Livelihood and Economic Inclusion Officer at the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) are recruiting to fill for the position below;
Job Title: Livelihood and Economic Inclusion Officer
Job ID: 18305
Salary Grade: P3
Hardship Level: C
Family Location Type: Non-Family
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
- The Livelihood and Economic Inclusion Officer has a key role to play in aligning livelihoods and economic inclusion efforts with the Global Compact on Refugees (GCR), which underscores the need to mobilize additional actors and to adopt a whole-of-society approach to strengthen refugee self-reliance and help ease pressure on host countries. Promoting economic inclusion of refugees is a key development area that will enable the achievement of these objectives and contribute to the 2030 Agenda’s Sustainable Development Goals.
- Leveraging the growing global momentum, UNHCR is working to translate the objectives of the GCR into impactful results for persons of concern (POC), including through follow-up on pledges made through the 2019 Global Refugee Forum. Contributing to this global roll-out of the GCR, the Livelihood and Economic Inclusion Officer, with support from the Livelihoods and Economic Inclusion Unit in the Division of Resilience and Solutions (DRS), works towards the following objectives: 1) improve the enabling environment for refugees to work through advocacy on the right to/at work, access to economic opportunities and service;
- Seek new and strengthen existing partnerships including with the private sector, development actors, government institutions and specialized agencies to advance economic inclusion of refugees; and
- Enhance ongoing livelihoods and economic inclusion programming through evidence-based and market-driven approaches to improve economic inclusion outcomes.
- The Livelihood and Economic Inclusion Officer should be proactive, always looking for new opportunities, and persuasive in mobilizing donors and new partners around new models of economic and social integration. The incumbent will play a role in formulating interventions that position UNHCR a key catalyst for livelihoods and the economic inclusion of refugees.
- S/he will interact with both internal and external counterparts. The incumbent will work closely with multi-functional teams on matters including but not limited to protection, education, cash, partnerships, research and analytics, SGBV, solutions, complementary pathways and more. Externally, the Livelihoods and Economic Inclusion Officer will help promote refugees¿ economic inclusion through effective partnerships with relevant government line ministries, development actors, the private sector, UN agencies, international organisations and NGOs, and research institutions and universities, both at the global and country levels.
- All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description.
- They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks.
- In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR¿s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
- Facilitate the economic inclusion of refugees in coordination with relevant external partners such as line ministries, private sector and development actors in accordance with UNHCR Global and Country level policies, priorities, and strategies, in particular the Global Compact on Refugees.
- Work with the multi-functional team, more specifically with the Protection Unit, to assess the legal framework for the right to work and rights at work in respective host countries and recommend/implement advocacy initiatives and policy reforms to improve UNHCR POC¿s economic inclusion, rights and access to work.
- Strengthen partnerships with relevant stakeholders to enhance economic inclusion of UNHCR POC. This includes advocating with public and private sector services providers to include UNHCR POC in supporting services (business development, micro-finance, training, saving accounts, poverty alleviation and social protection, etc.).
- Build on UNHCR databases to support regular information sharing and coordination among different humanitarian, developmental and governmental stakeholders. This includes supporting the implementation of socioeconomic and wealth ranking surveys to inform targeting, monitoring and facilitation of development programmes.
- Conduct necessary assessments in collaboration with relevant private and public stakeholders, including impact assessments on local economies and surveys that help to identify investment and funding opportunities that enhance the economic inclusion of UNHCR POC.
- Work with economic development agencies to help adapt their programmes to become inclusive of UNHCR POC and with the private sector to enhance inclusion of UNHCR POC in their labour force and supply chains.
- In case UNHCR is implementing specific livelihoods activities, strengthen, guide and monitor the livelihoods interventions to help ensure they are market-based, and that the role of UNHCR has been strategically determined in consideration of its comparative advantage vis-à-vis other partners.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Years of Experience / Degree Level:
- For P3/NOC: 6 years relevant experience with Undergraduate degree; or 5 years relevant experience with Graduate degree; or 4 years relevant experience with Doctorate degree
Field(s) of Education:
- Business Management;
- Socio-Economics Development;
- Economics/International Economics Rural Development;
- Financial Management;
- or other relevant field.
- (Field(s) of Education marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Certificates and/or Licenses:
- UNHCR Protection Learning Programme (PLP);
- Operations Management Learning Programme (OMLP);
- (Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Relevant Job Experience:
- Technical competencies in sub-sectors relevant to livelihoods programming e.g. microfinance, employment, entrepreneurship, private sector development, local economic development, poverty reduction, agriculture, livestock, vocational and technical education and training, etc.
- Experience in facilitating the economic inclusion of vulnerable and marginalized groups and managing and advising on development processes in collaboration with internal and external stakeholders, ideally in varied field contexts.
- Experience in working with and developing partnerships with private sector, NGOs, UN organisations, and government authorities in sub-sectors relevant to livelihood programming e.g. microfinance, employment, entrepreneurship, private sector development, local economic development, poverty reduction, agriculture, livestock, vocational and technical education and training, etc.
- Experience in conducting sector assessments using quality social-science methods and tools, and in developing at least one comprehensive multi-year strategic plan for livelihoods support.
- Experience with UNHCR policies and standards.
- LV-Livelihoods & sub-sectors (value-chain upgrading, microfinance, cash assistance, etc.;
- EX-Field experience;
- EX-Experience with Inter/Non-Governmental Organization (INGO/NGO);
- LV-Livelihood Project Development and Implementation;
- MG-Project Management;
- MG-Strategic Planning;
- MS-Drafting, Documentation, Data Presentation;
- (Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
- For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
- For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
- For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates.
- C001L3: Accountability Level 3
- C002L3: Teamwork & Collaboration Level 3
- C003L3: Communication Level 3
- C004L3: Commitment to Continuous Learning Level 3
- C005L3: Client & Result Orientation Level 3
- C006L3: Organizational Awareness Level 3
- M001L3: Empowering and Building Trust Level 3
- M003L3: Judgement and Decision Making Level 3
- M006L3: Managing Resources Level 3
- X001L3: Analytical Thinking Level 3
- X005L3: Planning and Organizing Level 3
|Job Category||Administration/ Office/ Operations, NGO / Community Services|
|Closing Date||9th October, 2019.|