JOB TITLE: Public Health Specialist (HMIS) – All Interested Candidates (Snr. Program Specialist – Health Mgmt. Info. Sys.)
Announcement Number: Abuja-2021-104
JOB LOCATION: Abuja
Hiring Agency: Embassy Abuja
Appointment Type: Permanent
Series/Grade: LE – 0550 11
Work Schedule: Full-time – 40 hours per week
Promotion Potential: LE-11
- Hiring Path: Open to the public
- Who May Apply/Clarification From the Agency:
- For USEFM – FP is 04. Actual FP salary determined by Washington D.C.
- All Interested Applicants / All Sources
- Security Clearance Required: Public Trust – Background Investigation
- Appointment Type Details: Indefinite subject to successful completion of probationary period
- The work schedule for this position is: Full Time (40 hours per week)
- Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time (6 weeks) of receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
- Supervisory Position: Yes
- Relocation Expenses Reimbursed: No
- Travel Required:
- 25% or less
- Job holder routinely travels to CDC project sites and facilities to monitor prevention activities. 30-35 % of time will be spent on local and international travel for site visits, workshops, trainings, conferences etc.
- Under the supervision of the Epidemiologist & Surveillance Branch Chief, the Senior Program Specialist is a team lead position and responsible for Health Management Information Systems (HMIS) strengthening within the context of in-country HIV/AIDS programs supported through the U.S. President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR).
- Job holder provides technical oversight of the Country Operational Plan and Reporting System (COPRS) operations in country and works at a program management level to collaborate with the Ministry of Health and other HIV/AIDS partners in the development and strengthening of data, information systems and software that will improve data flow from the sub-national to the national level of the host country.
- To carry out this responsibility job holder provides the USG team, Ministry of Health, National AIDS Control Agency and other implementing partners technical recommendations and expertise in the design, development, improvement, and maintenance of information systems that strengthen health service effectiveness and efficiency.
- Both the advisory and managerial roles require HMIS technical expertise, results-oriented analysis, clear communication, advocacy, and close collaboration with implementing partners and donors.
- Due to the highly integrated nature of HMIS in all PEPFAR programmatic decision making, job holder represents the agency on HMIS issues at technical working group, policy and strategic planning meetings, including meetings with collaborators and donor agencies.
- The incumbent will manage and support CDC implementing partners.
Qualifications and Evaluations
- Experience: Seven (7) years of experience in designing, developing, implementing and maintaining health data information systems to support and evaluate health-related program activities is required, inclusive of two (2) years of supervisory experience.
- The incumbent must possess extensive knowledge of health delivery information systems, health information technology and applications, especially the application of program management and the translation of evaluation data as it pertains to the improvement of program operations, guidelines, and policies.
- The incumbent must have a detailed understanding of the structure and functions of PEPFAR, including detailed knowledge of the agency’s role and function in support of the President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR).
- Job holder must have a detailed knowledge of HIV/AIDS, STD or TB prevention activities and the host government health care system and structures including familiarity with Nigeria Ministry of Health policies, program priorities and regulations.
- Good working knowledge of team management techniques to plan, organize and direct multi-disciplinary project teams and activities is required.
- Medical Degree (MBBS / BMBch) or Master’s Degree in one of the following disciplines is required: Informatics, Information Science, Health Information Management, Computer Science; Computer Engineering, or Information Systems is required.
- Note: NYSC Certificate or Exemption document is required.
- This may be tested. Please specify your level of proficiency in the language listed.
- Fluency (Reading/Speaking/Writing) in English is required.
Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to analyze, understand and inform new health management information systems, health ICT program design, management and implementation approaches is required. This includes application of public health informatics techniques and use of ICTs and methods for data collection, analysis, use, and reporting are required.
- Ability to design or modify sophisticated computer applications to meet data collection requirements is required.
- Strong oral communications skills are required to develop and maintain effective, sustainable working relationships with ministry, national and international working partners.
- Good drafting skills are required to provide regular progress reports on various HMIS activities.
- Good leadership skills are required to operate independently with limited direct supervision of day-to-day activities and to lead results-driven project teams and workgroups is required.
- Ability to exercise tact and diplomacy in applying PEPFAR guidelines to unique and different public health settings, as the programs are highly complex and can be threatening to stakeholders is required.
- Highly developed persuasive skills, ingenuity and innovation are required. Keyboarding skills that include both speed and accuracy are required.
- The incumbent should be technically proficient in database design, development and administration; conversant with all of the software packages and tools necessary for successful health information system development e.g., Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Access, and statistical programs such as SAS, SPSS, or STATA); SQL programming, understanding of both transactional (OLTP) and analytical (OLAP) data environments related to health including spatial analysis, GIS etc.
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO):
- The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
- All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
Benefits and Other Info
- Locally Employed Staff, including Members of Household (MOHs), and Third-Country Nationals (TCNs), working at the U.S. Mission in Abuja, Nigeria may receive a compensation package that may include health, separation, and other benefits.
- For EFMs, benefits should be discussed with the Human Resources Office.
- The pay plan is assigned at the time of the conditional offer letter by the HR Office.
- Hiring Preference Selection Process: Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
Hiring Preference Order:
- AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
- AEFM / USEFM
- FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
- Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant. The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
- ** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
- For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc.?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link.
- We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply.
NGN 15,890,203 / USD 58,767 – Per Year
- All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a Public Trust clearance.
- To apply for this position click the “Submit Application” button. For more information on how to apply visit the Mission internet site.
In order to qualify based on education, you MUST submit the requested diploma and / or transcripts as verification of educational requirement by the closing date of this announcement. If you fail to provide requested information, or the information you submit is insufficient to verify your eligibility, you will not be considered for this position.
- Residency and/or Work Permit
- Degree (not transcript)
- NYSC Certificate
- Certificate or License
For EFMs, in addition to the above:
- Copy of Orders/Assignment Notification (or equivalent)
- DD-214 – Member Copy 4, Letter from Veterans’ Affairs, or other supporting documentation (if applicable)
- SF-50 (if applicable)
- Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
- For further information – the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources Office.
- Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Abuja, Nigeria.
Deadline: October 15, 2021
|Job Category||Medical/ Healthcare / Pharmaceutical|