PVE Expert Consultancy is needed at the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
JOB TITLE: PVE Expert Consultancy
LOCATION: Nigeria (with expected travel within Nigeria)
Type of Contract: Individual Contract
Post Level: National Consultant
Languages Required: English
Starting Date: 19-Apr-2020 (date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
Duration of Initial Contract: Forty (40) Working Days
Expected Duration of Assignment: Forty (40) Working Days
- Violent extremism caused an estimated 33,300 fatalities in Africa between 2011 and 2016, causing economic devastation and a humanitarian catastrophe. This not only poses a significant threat to global security, but also threatens the development gains made by many countries for generations to come.
- Violent extremism comes in different forms and takes different expressions depending on the context in which it grows. As stated in the UN Plan of Action on Preventing Violent Extremism, “Violent extremism is a diverse phenomenon, without clear definition. It is neither new nor exclusive to any region, nationality or system of belief.” The lack of a clear definition entails a need for further investigating violent extremism in its different forms, its drivers and root causes.
- The operations of extremist groups have mostly been followed by militarized counter-terrorism response. Such an approach may temporarily halt the most radical manifestations but has proven to be an ineffective long term strategy in addressing the complexities behind the drivers of extremism.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree or equivalent in Peace and Conflict studies, Development studies, International Relations, Sociology/Anthropology, or other relevant field.
- Minimum 7 years relevant experience conducting research and working on topics related to violent
- Extremism in West Africa, peace building and conflict prevention, including conducting conflict analysis
- Proven experience working in/on the conflict context in Nigeria and surrounding region
- Experience with UNDP or other UN agencies
- Strong analytical skills, proven experience in applying research methodology.
- Strong communication skills in spoken and writtenEnglish, particularly in report writing.
|Job Category||NGO / Community Services|
|Deadline||6th April, 2020.|