JOB TITLE: Regional Sector Manager
JOB LOCATION: Yaounde, Republic of Cameroon
Position Grade: PL2
- The Vice Presidency for ‘Agriculture, Human, and Social Development’ is a Sector Complex focusing on the Bank’s Ten-Year Strategy High 5s priority of “Feed Africa” and “Improve Quality of Life for the People of Africa”. The complex objectives are:
- To develop policy and strategy;
- Provide deep sector expertise to the Regions by gathering pools of experienced individuals who can be consulted to provide sector expertise on complex transactions; and
- Develop new financing instruments. The Vice President acts as the spokesperson to represent the Bank with external stakeholders on aspects of “Feed Africa” and “Improve Quality of Life for the People of Africa”.
The Hiring Department
- The Human Capital, Youth and Skills Development Department, within the Agriculture, Human and Social Development Complex, spearheads the achievement of the Bank’s High 5-5 priorities on “Improving the Quality of Life for the People of Africa” and contributes to the other High 5 priorities. The Department has two divisions:
- Education and Skills Development Division, which focuses on scaling-up of Bank’s support to higher education and skills development; and
- Public Health, Nutrition and Social Protection Division, which focuses on strengthening health systems, social protection and nutrition for human wellbeing.
- The Department also oversees the implementation of the Jobs for Youth in Africa (JfYA) strategy and hosts various initiatives and trust funds for the promotion of human capital development in Africa.
- The Regional Division covers the Bank’s Regional Member Countries (RMCs) in North and Central Africa. It focuses on, Pipeline development, Lending and non-lending delivery, and Portfolio management for all social sector projects (Education, Public Health, Nutrition, Social Protection and Youth Employment) in these countries. It also ensures Coordination and promotes Client Relations and Partnerships in these countries.
- The Regional Sector Manager for the Bank’s RMCs in North and Central Africa reports to the Director of Human Capital, Youth and Skills Development Department.
- He/She is responsible for managing several teams (key among which are Skills development, Public Health, Social protection, Job creation).
- The incumbent provides leadership and supervises the implementation of the Human Capital, Youth and Skills Development department’s mandate in the Bank’s RMCs in North and Central Africa.
- The Regional Sector Manager advises Management and participates in technical discussions related to social sector development issues.
The specific responsibilities attached to this position are, among others, to:
- Lead the development of social sector activities of the Bank by exploring, innovating, implementing and bringing opportunities to engage social sector on the Bank’s High 5-5 priorities on “Improving the Quality of Life for the People of Africa” and contribute to the other High 5s priorities.
- Develop country/regional social sector profiles and business targets in key niches with growth opportunities for both the country and the Bank’s business portfolio.
- Develop and implement outreach strategies for private sector including a business intelligence platform.
- Coordinate the social sector development activities in the Bank’s RMCs in North and Central Africa.
- Represent the Bank on social sector issues at technical, policy and strategic planning levels, including meetings with engagement strategy for key clients existing or targeted and all business development initiatives and activities of the Department.
- Coordinate and oversee the work of the Division staff and ensure smooth interaction with staff from the other Departments.
Under the supervision of the Director of Human Capital, Youth and Skills Development Department, the Regional Sector Manager will perform the following duties:
- Lead robust, targeted, systematic and strategic business development efforts to sustainably grow the Bank’s business and impact in the North and Central countries.
- Lead Team in charge of the social sector including Skills development, Health, Social protection, Job creation.
- Develop and maintain relationships with potential clients and identify business opportunities taking into account the Bank’s strategies and priorities.
- Supervise the elaboration of country/region social sector profiles to inform the Bank intervention Programs and business development activities.
- Provide advice to the Director on issues relating to social sector development, initiatives to be undertaken and enhancement deemed necessary.
- Supervise the implementation of the “Improving the Quality of Life for the People of Africa” strategy.
- Foster strong relationships to identify opportunities for knowledge transfer among the Regional Hubs to the benefit of the clients.
- Facilitate synergies and collaboration between the Bank’s non-sovereign and sovereign operations.
- Represent and provide visibility for the Bank’s social sector development agenda including through Organizing/participating in high profile events.
Competencies (Skills, Experience and Knowledge)
- Hold a minimum of a Master’s Degree in Business Administration, Social Sciences, Development Economics or related field.
- Have a minimum of eight (8) years of relevant experience preferably in an international organization, government agency, private sector, think tank or other organizations, of which 3 years should be at a managerial level of extensive and in-depth experience in strategic, social sector business development.
- Good knowledge of social development policies and strategies in the Bank’s Regional Member Countries.
- Strong research/analytical skills with ability to analyze and integrate diverse information from varied sources into conclusions and recommendations strategically and rapidly.
- Ability to understand complex problems in skills development, health, social protection, and jobs creation, to identify key issues and recommend pragmatic solutions.
- Solid experience in project cycle management.
- Knowledge of the practices of major bilateral and multilateral agencies, development partners in regional members countries.
- Familiarity with relevant strategies, policies, procedures and practices of the MDB’s.
- Demonstrated leadership skills, strong teamwork and communications skills in a highly diverse environment.
- Excellent people management skills and openness to feedback, new ideas and ability to guide staff to solve problems.
- Proven ability to effectively plan, direct, organize and administer diverse activities to ensure effective delivery of work program.
- Ability to plan and manage staff to achieve high quality results and encourage innovation in an open team-based environment, inspiring trust and influencing and resolving differences across organizational boundaries.
- Develop and direct the implementation of objectives, policies, procedures and work standards for the Division. Ensure compliance with Bank rules, policies and regulations.
- Lead, manage and develop an integrated and diverse team, ensuring that it is well-motivated, innovative, high-performing, and well-trained.
- Applies the principles of change management and proactively serves as a role model for transformation and capacity for acceptance of change.
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French, with a working knowledge of the other.
- Competence in the use of the Bank standard software (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint). Knowledge of SAP will be an asset.
Note: This position is classified international status and attracts international terms and conditions of employment.
|Job Category||Banking / Insurance|