Catholic Relief Services (CRS) is seeking qualified candidate for the below position.
JOB TITLE: Risk Communication and Community Engagement (RCCE) Officer
Requisition Id: 200000HN
JOB LOCATION: Yobe
Job: Program Management
Employee Status: Entry Level
Job Type: Full-time
Job Level: Day Job
Travel: Yes, 50 % of the Time
- Struggling to cope with more than 10 years of conflict, displacement and climatic and health shocks that have left millions in need of humanitarian assistance, Yobe State now faces the COVID-19 pandemic. Since the first confirmed case of COVID-19 in Nigeria on Feb. 27, 2020, the virus has spread to all corners of the country with more than 16,000 confirmed cases as of June 15, 2020. Northeast Nigeria saw its first confirmed case on April 18, 2020, and by early June 2020, more than 500 cases had been confirmed across the BAY states of Borno, Adamawa, and Yobe.
- In response to the health and socio-economic threat posed by COVID-19, the Government of Nigeria (GON) has mobilized a “whole of government” response via a National COVID-19 Multi-Sectoral Pandemic Response Plan.
- While just 55 COVID-19 cases have been confirmed in Yobe State as of June 23, 2020, the risk for extensive spread of the virus within the state is high due to the fragile humanitarian conditions, density and mobility of the population, and the limited capacity of the public health system to respond to a spike in critical health needs.
- In response to the risk posed by COVID-19, Catholic Relief Services (CRS), in partnership with Nigerian NGO NIRA, will implement a nine-month emergency project designed to empower communities to protect themselves and reduce transmission of COVID-19, through a robust Risk Communication and Community Engagement (RCCE) approach, complemented by investments in water supply infrastructure in communities and at health facilities and the distribution of critical water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) NFIs necessary to engage in infection prevention and control (IPC).
- The RCCE Officer will play a key role in the field-level implementation of community-level RCCE activities. Under the supervision of the Program Manager, the RCCE Officer will supervise the work of Community Mobilizers engaged in household level and small group RCCE messaging and dialogue, focusing on increasing knowledge about the threat of COVID-19 and strategies for reducing the risk of COVID-19 transmission.
- The project will have a team of three RCCE officers, with one officer assigned to each project target LGA.
Roles and Key Responsibilities
- In coordination with the Program Manager and Procurement Officer and as per CRS standard procedures identify and assess contractors, construction suppliers, vendors of WASH NFIs, prepare contracts and documentation for works.
- Assist the Program Manager and Community Liaison Officer in planning and implementing community mapping exercises to inform finalization of the project RCCE strategy.
- Develop IEC and other materials for use in community-level RCCE activities.
- Assist Program Manager in designing and conducting training of Community Mobilizers on community-level RCCE strategies.
- Plan community-level RCCE activities conducted by Community Mobilizer.
- Assist with set-up and lead field-level implementation of monitoring systems for tracking field-level RCCE activities carried out by Community Mobilizers.
- Link risk communication with health facility health promotion activities to reinforce improved COVID-19 transmission risk messages
- Lead mobilization of key community stakeholders including protection committee, youths, women, men and host communities to participate in community awareness events/meetings
- Liaise with community leaders and other sectors and agencies working locally in order to ensure coordination of field-level RCCE activities
- Ensure that Community Mobilizers adhere to CRS protection and safeguarding policies, security policies, and COVID-19 risk mitigation policies while engaged in RCCE activities.
- Organize data collected from Community Mobilisers and prepare regular activity reports and submit as requested by Program Manager
- Lead/support NFI distributions as requested.
- Advise management about issues affecting project implementation, or key local issues affecting future project developments.
- English and Hausa required; Fulani, Kanuri and/or other local languages are a plus.
- Must be willing and able to travel up to 70% of the time to field locations in Gujba, Damaturu and Potiskum LGAs throughout the work-week.
Key Working Relationships:
- Internal: Other RCCE Officers, WASH Team Leader, Community Liaisons Officer, Program Manager, MEAL staff, Head of Office for Yobe State, Operations staff.
- External: Works collaboratively with partner counterparts per LGA, as well as other stakeholders including focal points and community mobilizers from local partners, local leaders and representatives of other local stakeholder groups, including government offices, health facilities, non-governmental organizations and other agencies in field locations.
Education and Experience:
- High School diploma required. Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Minimum two years’ of practical experience working with a local or international NGO, preferably hygiene promotion, nutrition, or other relevant domain with substantial community mobilization component.
- Demonstrated high-level interpersonal and communication skills.
- Demonstrated skills in training and capacity building through technical assistance and mentoring.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure and to organize and prioritize a variety of initiatives.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSAs):
- Observation, active listening and analysis skills with the ability to make sound judgment.
- Good relationship management skills and the ability to work closely with local partners, community members and government partners.
- General knowledge of local and state government practices.
- Well-developed knowledge of local community cultures, leaders, customs and practices through prior involvement in the community. Additional experience may substitute for some education.
- Attention to details, accuracy and timeliness in executing assigned responsibilities
- Proactive, results-oriented and service-oriented.
- Experience using MS Windows and MS Office packages (Excel, Word, PowerPoint).
- Experience implementing projects through local partners.
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff):
- These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
- Continuous Improvement & Innovation
- Builds Relationships
- Develops Talent
- Strategic Mindset
- Accountability & Stewardship
Important Information / Notice
- Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. We welcome as a part of our staff people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need. CRS’ processes and policies reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
- This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
- CRS’ talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
- CRS is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Deadline: August 28, 2020
|Job Category||NGO / Community Services|