JOB TITLE: Roving NTS / EORE Specialist
JOB LOCATION: Maiduguri, Borno
- Danish Refugee Council (DRC), and its Humanitarian Disarmament and Peacebuilding technical unit – the Danish Demining Group (DDG), has had an operational presence in Nigeria since 2015.
- DRC Nigeria is the largest DRC country mission in the West Africa region and one of the largest DRC country missions globally. Currently, DRC delivers life-saving assistance and protection to vulnerable, conflict-affected populations including internally displaced persons, returnees and host communities in the areas of armed violence reduction, humanitarian mine action, livelihoods, nutrition and food security, protection, shelter and non-food items (NFI) and water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) in 30+ Local Government Areas (LGAs) across Borno, Adamawa and Yobe states in northeast Nigeria.
- The DRC Nigeria is looking to recruit an experienced, highly- qualified and enthusiastic professional to join our great NTS – EORE team in Nigeria.
- This role is a key partner to the NTS/CL Coordinator role in order to ensure the application of the required procedures and technical skills in the implementation of the NTS and EORE activities through frequent field visit and quality assurance. Provide timely reports including corrective measures to the NTS/CL Coordinator.
- The role includes regular travels to field locations in Nigeria following a need assessment conducted by the NTS/CL Coordinator and the managers.
- The role also contributes to the development of country strategies which are translated into action plans and day-to-day tasks.
- This position is a technical one, requiring a consistent previous experience in a similar position. This position also requires solid knowledge in NTS – EORE and safeguarding. This position also requires a full professional proficiency in English language.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist the NTS/CL Coordinator in the planning and coordination of NTS/EORE activities.
- Assist the NTS/CL Coordinator in the planning and execution of training for the NTS/EORE staff.
- Provide monthly quality management plan in line with the monthly work plan submitted by the Team Leaders.
- Carry out regular field visits and conduct quality assurance of the NTS/EORE activities.
- Implement the quality assurance /quality control in compliance with relevant SOPs and guidelines.
- Encourage change and improvement in performance and quality.
- Identify needs for training and capacity building of NTS/EORE teams and share with NTS/CL Coordinator.
- Contribute to the amendment of HDP sector technical SOPs when required.
- Understand and follow all safety SOPs in DRC Nigeria and communicate any change on the security situation to the NTS/CL Coordinator and DRC Safety unit.
- Establish and maintain working relations with NTS/EORE Teams, local authorities, and communities of intervention.
- Establish working relations and regular communications with security stakeholders (police, military, civil defence, vigilantes) in Adamawa and Borno States.
- Carry out any other tasks required by the NTS/CL Coordinator.
- Certificate/Accreditation of participation in a Non-Technical Survey Training by a recognized INGO.
- Certificate/Accreditation of participation in an Explosive Ordnance Risk Education /EORE (or similar) training by a recognized INGO.
- Knowledge of local communities; actual inhabitants of these areas are preferred.
- Ability to manage and analyse sensitive and confidential information.
- Previous experience in conducting interviews and surveys.
- At Least 4 years of proven previous experience in EORE and NTS.
- Basic knowledge in IM/GIS.
- Abilities using new technologies and APPs to gather information.
- Excellent planning and organisational skills.
- Excellent communicational skills.
- Excellent ability to work in team.
- At least 3 year of proven previous experience as NTS / EORE Team Leader.
- Excellent communication is an asset.
- Excellent Computer skills.
- Fluency in Hausa and Kanuri.
- University Degree in social science or tertiary education in any other relevant field will be a recommendation.
- Knowledge and experience working with relevant sectorial areas implemented by DRC Nigeria programmes – including protection, food security, WASH, shelter, NFIs, mine action, mine risk education, and armed violence reduction
- Experience and willingness to work in the field in volatile and insecure areas;
- Experience living and working in a cross-cultural, multi-sector, team environment
- Ability to work well under pressure and in adverse conditions;
- Demonstrated commitment and strict adherence to confidentiality
- Effective communication skills (written and verbal);
- Proficiency in common computer packages i.e. Word, Excel, Power point etc
- All applicants must send aCover Letter and anUpdated CV(no longer than four pages). Both must be in English.
- DRC provides equal opportunity in employment and prohibits discrimination in employment on the basis of race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability.
- DRC encourages all applicants to apply and does not practice any discrimination in any recruitment process.
- Due to the urgency of the position, DRC has the right to recruit a candidate who matches the required profile before the above deadline.
Deadline: June 2, 2021