Search for Common Ground (SFCG) is recruiting candidates for a Safety and Security Officer.
JOB TITLE: Safety and Security Officer
JOB LOCATION: Niger Delta
- Search Nigeria is seeking a Safety and Security Officer who will be responsible for implementing all policies and procedures regarding security & safety and promoting its day to day management for Search in the Niger Delta.
- They will continuously assess the safety/security environment and devise risk reduction measures as needed in coordination with Safety and Security Manager (SSM).
- This full-time position is for 5 months initially, and subject to performance and funding availability may be extended for up to a year.
- The Safety and Security Officer will be based in our Delta or Bayelsa office with frequent travel to the field. S/he will report to the Safety and Security Manager and work closely with the Head of Offices (HOOs) of each region and the Admin/Procurement Manager.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Work closely with SSM to ensure security strategies for Search Nigeria and that response is appropriate and aligned with regional and global priorities.
- Deliver oversight of security prevention, preparation, and response and recovery activities, particularly in their respective offices and to counter threats emerging from changing political, social and economic situations.
- Support in developing, reviewing and ensuring effective implementation of the Search Nigeria Security Management Plans, SOPs/Contingency Plans, including a security plan in assigned offices, together with key staff
- Ensure that all safety and security management systems are in line with existing Search security policy, protocol, and approach
- Implement and ensure effective monitoring of a personnel and vehicle tracking system in each office.
- Support the SSM in planning and implementing risk mitigation strategies (acceptance, deterrence,
- Ensure that appropriate safety and security systems are in place to provide timely and accurate security information to all staff members and visitors.
- Provide crisis management support (evacuation and hibernation) as required.
- Be readily available at all times to the HOOs and field staff to advise on security developments.
- Maintain an updated Search staff contact list and security notification tree and test the tree on a regular basis.
- Conduct regular site visits to field sites to assess safety/security arrangements.
- SSO will work closely with Search program staff to facilitate easy access to program location, conduct a regular security risk assessment of Search program location and facilities
- The SSO will further assist the SSM in building up the capacity, awareness, and preparedness of staff to deal with security-related risks, threats and incidents through the delivery of high quality, regular training or briefings to staff and Search visitors within the area of responsibility
- Supervise and liaise on a daily basis with the contracted guards to ensure the guard force is trained and aware of Search SOPs and are effectively enforcing the required regulations.
- The report analyzes and communicates the current socio-political context and the security situation and the wider context (country, region, global trends as applicable).
- Ensure compliance with the incident reporting system, prepare weekly reports for the Field offices and update data on available incident data tools.
- and ensuring that the incident register is updated regularly.
- Conduct ongoing threat assessments and compile daily/weekly situation reports/monthly security analysis and ensures that the information is shared in a timely manner.
- She/He will develop a wide web of relevant contacts of stakeholders to engage with positively to address access challenges, collate and disseminate relevant security information
- Attend security & emergency related briefings and meetings and share security-related information with third-party security and risk management service providers.
- As job descriptions cannot be exhaustive, the position holder may be required to undertake other duties that are broadly in line with the above key duties.
- Bachelor’s degree in Social Sciences, International Relations, Political Science or a related discipline
- 2-3 years of relevant experience at the national or international NGOs in safety and security functions
- Experience in liaising with communities, civilians, police and/or military government authorities as well as with regional institutions preferred.
- Resident in Delta or Bayelsa state is an added advantage
- Excellent negotiation and representation skills and the ability to work comfortably with an ethnically diverse staff in a very sensitive environment.
- Good context analysis skills.
- Competent and literate in the local language of North East/ Niger Delta Nigeria, verbal and written, with a sound knowledge of technical expressions
- Willingness to travel at short notice, and often in difficult circumstances.
- Highly organized and systematic with excellent attention to detail.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both written and oral.
- Excellent cross-cultural communication and working skills enjoy a multicultural work environment;
- Ability in Training and facilitation skill using different training media
- Ability to conduct regular mock drills in all offices (e.g. fire drill, evacuation, etc.)
Interested candidates should send the following to our Career Portal:
- Current resume
- Cover Letter (which includes expectations of compensation and projected start date)
- Please compile your writing sample and resume into one document as the system only has the functionality to upload two documents per application. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
- I will contact only applicants invited for an interview. No phone calls, please.