Senior Admin and Finance Assistant needed at International Organization for Migration (IOM).
JOB TITLE: Senior Admin and Finance Assistant
JOB LOCATION: Maiduguri, Borno
CFCV No.: SVN2020.066
IOM Classification: G6
Type of Appointment: Special Short-Term (SST) 6 months with possibility of extension
Organizational Unit: Resource Management
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
- Working under the overall supervision of the Head of Sub Office, the overall guidance of the Senior Resource Management Officer (SRMO) in Abuja and direct supervision of the Resource Management Officer (RMO) in Maiduguri, the successful candidate will perform and coordinate preparation of Budget, Financial reporting, compliance, Review of financial document, auditing for the IOM Programmes in Maiduguri, Nigeria. In particular, s/he will:
Core Functions / Responsibilities
Budget, Project Monitoring & Reporting:
- Assist in preparation of project budget submission and revisions including estimating the cost of staff as well as rental and utilities, office equipment and supplies, printing, and other contracts, services or running expenses, to include in the budget.
- Analyse and report on expenditure and variations within projects. Bring to the attention of the supervisor any relevant financial and budgetary issues on an ongoing basis and suggest corrective actions.
- Participate in the preparation of new budgets with regard to project development, management and reporting to Project Managers and the Chief of Mission.
- Assist in managing financial resources through planning, guiding, monitoring and controlling of the resources in accordance with IOM rules and regulations.
- Coordinate the preparation of monthly, quarterly or annual financial reports, including financial reports for the Mission and donors, adhering to established reporting deadlines set by project agreements.
- Communicate with respective department with HQ level for endorsing financial reports.
- Monitor and record keeping of any unauthorized activity.
- Mitigate gap between policy and real time issue solving process.
- Keep record and track of all newer compliance related email, IN from ACO, HQ and related dept.
- Ensure all complex issues are dealt with current compliance.
Review of Document:
- Review all financial related document processed by Finance.
- Ensure proper document tracking system takes place in coordination with other departments.
- Participate in the pre-grant financial assessments of potential partners by reviewing partner financial information for any indications of poor financial management.
- Assist in reviewing proposals from potential partners, making recommendations on:
- Reasonableness of the proposed budget
- Actions that need to be undertaken before entering into a grant agreement
- Requirements that should be incorporated into partners’ grant agreement to manage specific risks.
- Monitor the financial aspect of the successful implementation of grants under the program throughout the lifecycle of each grant – from award to close out
- Verify and facilitate administrative and financial compliance of all grants. Train the admin and finance staff of partners as appropriate.
- Ensure that the system for tracking grants and implementation progress is in place.
- Review disbursement requests to ensure that all reporting and compliance requirements and/or pending queries have been satisfied before funds are disbursed
- Verify that all financial reports submitted by partners are in compliance with the requirements as per grants agreement
- Discuss with partners any financial management weaknesses and, where appropriate, prepare action plans to mitigate them.
- Monitor all finance activities to verify they are performed in accordance with the IOM Financial, Procurement and Accounting Regulations.
- Prepare monthly accounting returns package to be sent to HQ & regional offices
- Suggest improvements to internal controls to improve operational efficiencies.
- Maintains appropriate financial filing system.
- Maintain files of all financial instructions/guidelines issued as reference for completion of work assignments.
- Provide guidance and training and coordinate and monitor work of other staff in the Unit.
- Any other duties assigned by RMO.
- Degree / Certificate from an accredited academic institution in Accounting, Finance or Business Administration preferably with professional certification as a chartered accountant or certified public accountant; in related field; or an equivalent combination of education, training & experience;
- Minimum Six Years (Four Years for Degree Holders) in related field; preferably within the United Nations and the International Humanitarian Field
- Proactive; Independent Worker; A great team player;
- knowledge of IPSAS and SAP highly desirable;
- knowledge of IOM accounting system, software and procedure a distinct advantage.
- Fast Learner; IT Literate; Interpersonal Skills; Administrative & Time Management Skills.
- Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of local language an advantage.
- The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
All IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintain high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 3:
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action-oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 3:
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example, and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: work strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
- Only candidates residing in the country of the duty station and within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
- Female candidates with the above qualifications are encouraged to apply.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates are invited to submit their Applications via email to: HRNIGERIA@iom.int indicating position number on subject line
- In order for the applications to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications with a cover letter not more than one page specifying the motivation for application, addressed to Human Resources, International Organization for Migration (IOM) and with a subject line SVN2020.066 Maiduguri. Senior Admin and Finance Assistant, G6.
- All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers and detailed curriculum vitae (CV). Please note that this position is open only to Nigerian National applicants and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Deadline: October 22, 2020
|Job Category||Accounting / Audit / Finance|