JOB TITLE: Senior Agriculture and Rural Development Officer
JOB LOCATION: Freetown, Sierra Leone
Position Grade: LP5
- The Agriculture, Human and Social Development (AHVP) Complex supports in implementing two of the five goals, namely “Feed Africa” and “Improve the Quality of Life for Africans”. The complex comprises four departments:
- Agriculture and Agro-Industry Development (AHAI);
- Agriculture Finance and Rural Development (AHFR);
- Gender, Women and Civil Society; and
- Water, Human and Social Development.
The Hiring Department:
- The Agriculture and Agro-Industry Department provides support for the delivery of Feed Africa: Strategy for Agricultural Transformation in Africa, 2016-2025. The strategy aims to end hunger and rural poverty in the next decade through self-sufficiency in 18 priority commodity value chains specific to the continent’s agro-ecological zones.
- Realizing the objectives set forth in the strategy requires increased productivity; value addition/processing; investment in infrastructure; an enabling agribusiness environment; capital flows; and inclusivity, sustainability and effective nutrition.
- The Department Supports the effort to transform African agricultural systems for greater competitiveness, inclusivity and sustainability, and for enhanced job creation and poverty reduction.
- The Senior Agriculture and Rural Development Officer will provide technical support in the design and implementation of projects scheduled under the flagship programmes of the High-5 “Feed Africa” strategy.
- The incumbent will work across technical and institutional boundaries to support the formulation of development solutions for various rural (and urban) clients in the public and private sectors, in accordance with the African Development Bank Group’s agricultural, agro-food and agro-industrial development programme.
- Using a value-chain approach, the incumbent will support the implementation of the aforementioned programme in the African Development Bank’s Regional Member Countries, with particular emphasis on providing technical support for the design and implementation supervision of projects which:
- Promote value chain development, create added value and foster the primary and secondary processing of crops, livestock and fishery products;
- Accelerate private sector participation and growth in African agriculture;
- Promote the growth of agricultural SMEs and the commercialisation of agriculture, with particular attention to financing needs;
- Create farm-to-fork market links;
- Facilitate the establishment of agro-poles and agro-processing centres;
- Support the development of an enabling environment for agriculture and agro-industry; and
- Invest in policies and reforms that are conducive to the transformation of African agriculture into viable and profitable enterprises.
- The Senior Agriculture and Rural Development Officer will design and coordinate the development of solutions intended for customers and of all project management aspects related to the implementation of these solutions.
Under the direct supervision of the Regional Sector Manager, Agriculture and Agro-business in West Africa (AHAI-W), the Senior Agriculture and Rural Development Officer will perform, inter alia, the following functions:
- Ensure that the Bank’s agriculture portfolio remains of good quality. Provide expert advice and guidance to officials of executing agencies on sector issues and priorities, technical aspects of projects, and the Bank rules and procedures, including those for the procurement of goods and services;
- Undertake analytical work in agriculture sector with a view to determining its level of priority in the country’s development program, and advise Management on how to ensure sustainability of benefits of Bank financed agricultural projects and programs in Sierra Leone;
- Contribute to the Preparation of Country Strategy Paper, with particular reference to agriculture and rural development;
- Formulate, evaluate and supervise projects, lending proposals, feasibility studies and sector work;
- Design technical assistance programmes, estimate financing needs and propose governance models which will enhance the performance of agricultural value chains – from the supply of agricultural inputs to harvesting, transport, storage, marketing and distribution (including export) – with a view to increasing value added, improving quality, reducing post-harvest losses and ensuring the reliable supply of products to consumers;
- Participate in the Agricultural Sector Working Group activities and related donor-coordination meetings, sector wide approaches, on the basis of which to advise the Country Manager and Management on policy issues in the sector;
- Assist where required in the development of the Bank’s policies, procedures and guidelines, and ensure their application;
- Serve as a technical specialist in his/her discipline and anchor for multi-disciplinary identification, preparation, appraisal, launching, monitoring and follow-up, supervision, and completion of agriculture sector missions; and
- Participate in other technical tasks assigned by the Country Manager and the Division Managers in the Agriculture and Agro-industry Department;
- Perform other duties requested by the Country Manager and the management.
Competencies (Skills, Experience and Knowledge)
- At least a Master’s degree in Agriculture, Agricultural Economics or related fields
- Have at least five (5) years of experience in the field of Rural Infrastructure and Development of Agricultural Value Chains, Formulation and Monitoring-Evaluation of Agricultural policies, or in related fields.
- Possess solid experience and proven track record in the design and execution of operations (including investment projects and operations focusing on agriculture and rural development) as well as in project management.
- Previous experience working in multi-lateral financial institutions or similar large organisations, and performing such roles as project preparing, appraising, supervising or implementing donor funded projects;
- Full understanding of the principles of project cycle and project implementation as applicable in the regional member countries (RMCs) is required for portfolio management;
- Proven planning and organizational skills. Strong conceptual and research/analytical skills, with ability to think strategically and rapidly analyze and integrate diverse information from varied sources into conclusions and recommendations;
- Possess the ability to implement innovative approaches, work autonomously and apply new methods to solving problems, while remaining effective in a dynamic, evolving and demanding institutional environment.
- Excellent oral and writing skills;
- In-depth knowledge of social, political and development issues in the country;
- Proven ability to interact competently with the staff of government and donor agencies on issues relating to aid coordination; Competence in the use of COSTAB and other Bank standard software (Word, Excel, Access, MS Projects and PowerPoint);
- Ability to communicate and write effectively in English, with knowledge of French.
- This position does not attract international terms and conditions (the post holder will be considered as a local staff and will not have international terms and conditions of employment).
- Only nationals of Sierra Leone or bank member countries who have the right to reside and work in Sierra Leone will be considered for this position.
- The bank does not sponsor or support applications for work permits and relocations for the position in question.
Deadline: December 7, 2021
|Job Category||Agriculture / Agro Allied|