JOB TITLE: Senior Journalist, BBC Disinformation
JOB LOCATION: Abuja
Job family: Journalism
Job Category: Journalism
Contract Type: Fixed Term – Full Time
Business Unit: News – WSG World Service
Contract: Fixed term contract/attachment until 31/03/2022
- Responsible for an area of output, including editorial control, reporting, selection and compilation of material, production, leading teams and planning and implementing effective use of resources.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Responsible for originating and producing stories which may include scripting, editing, outputting, filming and presenting content across a range of BBC output.
- Commission and select relevant materials ensuring they meet expectations of our audiences and adhere to the BBC’s editorial guidelines.
- May be required to undertake on-air reporting, may be required to film and edit material for broadcast where appropriate.
- May include the production and presentation of live or recorded programmes.
- May be required to present live or recorded content on radio, TV or online.
- As required, to allocate work to a team and check progress; ensure the professional contribution of staff and the quality of output.
- Seek ways to increase diversity in our workforce and to ensure that our output reflects the audiences we serve.
- Deliver journalism of the highest standard and within the required timeframe using available resources.
- To act as a facilitator of change, clearly communicating and distributing best practices between teams.
- Delivering to tight deadlines while maintaining the highest editorial standards.
- At all times to carry out duties in accordance with the BBC health and safety policy.
Knowledge, Skills, Training and Experience
- A high standard of editorial judgment, writing ability and production skills based on substantial broadcast journalism experience.
- Maximises opportunities offered by existing and emerging technologies to their fullest extent.
- Ability to work effectively as a member of more than one team. Resolving conflicts as necessary.
- Ability to manage resources, staff, technical facilities and budgets, in order to make challenging broadcasting in the most cost effective manner.
- Demonstrates a commitment to improving diversity in the BBC and understands how individual differences can benefit the BBC.
- Prioritises and plans activities taking into account all the relevant issues and factors such as deadlines, staffing and resources.
- Ability to write creatively in an engaging manner, adapt, produce and translate with accuracy, clarity and style appropriate to differing audiences and forms of media suitable for multimedia output.
- The flexibility and adaptability to sustain performance, particularly under pressure to meet deadlines and changing priorities and circumstances.
- An understanding of health and safety procedures and how they apply to broadcasting.
- Significant level of responsibility. Uses initiative but seeks guidance where necessary.
- No line management responsibility but may mentor more junior staff.
- A senior journalist covering a wide range of journalism activity, with significant experience and responsibility for programme/content creation.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Local terms and conditions apply
- Any offer of employment with the BBC will be conditional upon you having the right to work in Nigeria.
Deadline: October 25, 2021
|Job Category||Journalism/Mass Media/Broadcasting|