Senior Officer – Community Accountability & Reporting Mechanism (CARM) is needed at Mercy Corps Nigeria
JOB TITLE: Senior Officer – Community Accountability & Reporting Mechanism (CARM)
Reference Number: ABV/PRO/2020/0023
LOCATION: Maiduguri, Borno
Position Status: Full-time, Regular
Program / Department Summary
- As an organization, Mercy Corps is committed to accountability to all of our stakeholders, including the people we serve, and to the resources that are entrusted to us. Mercy Corps takes a participatory approach in engaging with local communities throughout the program design and implementation.
- A Community Accountability Reporting Mechanism (CARM) is an essential part of Mercy Corps’ commitment to excellence and integrity, by providing individuals, organizations, local groups, and other stakeholders a means of raising concerns about potential staff misconduct or sharing feedback or programmatic activities (positive and negative) with Mercy Corps, independently from program operations. In the context of Nigeria, rolling out and implementing CARM will ensure that the Nigeria team will continue to uphold Mercy CorpsТ high standards of accountability.
General Position Summary
- Under the umbrella of the Performance and Quality (PaQ) Unit, the Senior Officer CARM will support CARM implementation primarily within the NE portfolio, dividing his/her time between the continued establishment, maintenance, management, and adaptation of CARM implementation in existing programs and the rollout of CARM into additional programs.
- While working with the program teams and MEL teams s/he would manage and support the adaptation of CARM work plans, focusing on CARM rollout and maintenance.
Knowledge and Experience
- Excellent writing skills in English, languages such as Hausa a plus. The ability to write reports at a native English level;
- Bachelor degree or equivalent in the relevant field. Proven (at least intermediate) report writing skills are required;
- At least four years of related work experience, preferably with an international or local Non- Governmental Organization (NGO);
- Proven experience in data collection, data entry, data/information management and analysis;
- Proven experience in developing or contributing to accountability frameworks, standard operating procedures (SOPs) for feedback mechanisms;
- Experience and/or training in handling sensitive information – Core Humanitarian Standards (CHS) training is an advantage, including Gender-Based Violence (GBV), Protection from Sexual Exploitation and Abuse (PSEA) and Child Protection knowledge and capacities;
- The ability to work closely in a team, be patient, adaptable, flexible, able to improvise and work in an environment that is often stressful and potentially volatile;
- Good interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate and negotiate clearly and effectively at all levels, taking into account cultural and language challenges. Tact and diplomacy are essential;
- Understanding of preventing sexual exploitation and abuse, child safeguarding and how other types of code of conduct issues may arise in CARM mechanisms and best practices for raising awareness of and responding to those concerns.
- Critical problem-solving skills and the ability to work out methods of delivery in very different operating contexts. S/he will be highly motivated, and capable to work without direct supervision.
- S/he will demonstrate attention to details, will be committed to working long hours, be able to work closely with a diverse team of individuals in a highly intense and fluid work and security environment and be willing to travel regularly to Mercy Corps field offices and project sites.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates are encouraged to submit their CV and Cover Letter in one document, addressing the position requirements to: [email protected] using the “Job title” as subject of the email.
- All applications must include the position title and Reference Number in the subject line
- Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview
- We are an equal opportunity organization so women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
|Job Category||NGO / Community Services|
|Deadline||28th June, 2020.|