SGBV Officer at the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) are recruiting to fill for the position below;
Job Title: SGBV Officer
Job ID: 18334
Location: Maiduguri, Nigeria
Salary Grade: P3
Hardship Level: E
Family Location Type: Non-Family
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
- The SGBV Officer is a member of the Protection Team in a Regional Bureau or a Country Office and normally reports to the Senior SGBV Officer or the Senior Community-Based Protection Officer or the Senior Protection Officer or the Head of Sub-Office or the Assistant Representative for protection. In smaller offices, the post may report directly to the Representative.
- The SGBV Officer supports the implementation the operations¿ efforts to fulfil UNHCR¿s mandate and associated obligations on SGBV prevention, risk mitigation and response based on policy and guidance.
- S/he collaborates closely with the UNHCR management and the Protection team in the country and strengthens working relations with other agencies involved in SGBV prevention, risk mitigation and response.
- The incumbent will maintain a close working relationship with the Bureau and the Division of International Protection for system-wide coherence.
- All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR¿s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
Implementation of UNHCR¿s Global Policies and Standards:
- Support and facilitate the effective and timely development, implementation and monitoring of a clear and coherent multi-year and multi-sectoral SGBV strategy as part of the operation¿s broader Protection and Solutions Strategy, coordinate timely reporting on progress including the documentation of promising practices.
- Participate in the promotion of compliance with UNHCR¿s SGBV policy, priorities and commitments (aligned with polices on age, gender, diversity (AGD) and accountability to affected populations (AAP), Child protection, gender equality, disability and youth empowerment.
- For functions at regional level, support the harmonization of SGBV strategies in the region and alignment with global policies and commitments, support exchange of expertise and practices in the region and provide a regional level analysis of trends as well as aggregated reporting on SGBV.
- Assist UNHCR management at country level to comply with Protection from Sexual Exploitation and Abuse measures by providing technical advice, capacity building and supporting prevention and response programming for persons of concern.
Planning / Programming:
- Support the development and implementation of programming for specialized SGBV prevention and response based on needs, risks and capacity assessments at the onset of an emergency and throughout all phases of displacement.
- Participate in conducting, consolidating and reporting on SGBV assessments including gender equality components at least once per year, linked to annual planning processes and participatory assessments and sharing strategic trends analyses.
- Contribute to planning processes and advocate for adequate resource (re)allocation and mobilization.
- Support cross-cutting programs and technical sectors to mainstream gender and to program for mitigation of SGBV risks in their specific technical areas, and report on progress.
Capacity Development, Technical Support and Coordination:
- Provide technical guidance and support field colleagues to operationalise and comply with UNHCR¿s corporate SGBV policy, priorities and commitments (aligned with policies on AGD and AAP, Child protection, disability, youth empowerment and gender equality).
- Support operational capacity development efforts and provide technical support on gender and SGBV mainstreaming
- Under the guidance of the Senior Protection Officer, support and facilitate the establishment of and ensure the functioning of SGBV coordination mechanisms with all relevant stakeholders.
- Facilitate and strengthen the development and implementation of SGBV Standard Operating Procedures for all sites that enable all survivors to access, at a minimum, appropriate health, psychosocial, security and safety, and legal support.
- Support and build capacity and systems for individual SGBV case management for survivors and persons at-risk of SGBV.
- Ensure safe and ethical SGBV data collection and reporting is functioning and regular reporting is done on SGBV, including through PRIMES and protection monitoring processes. Promote the use of the SGBV module of PRIMES or another SGBV information management system that provides for safe and ethical data collection and analysis. Where applicable, support reporting under the Monitoring, Analysis, and Reporting Arrangements on conflict-related sexual violence (MARA).
- Strengthen UNHCR’s collaboration with host governments to develop national services in order to expand safe access for Persons of concern to services that prevent, mitigate, and respond to SGBV.
- Support the capacity development of staff, partners and other stakeholders to address SGBV and to promote gender equality and the empowerment of displaced women and girls.
- Strengthen partnerships including with UN agencies, governments, civil society and with displaced and host communities, to prevent, mitigate, and respond to SGBV, to promote gender equality and to ensure age and gender-informed protection and solution programs.
- Support that community-based approaches are applied in SGBV programming and communities considered as key stakeholders.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Years of Experience / Degree Level:
- For P3/NOC 6 years relevant experience with Undergraduate Degree; or 5 years relevant experience with Graduate Degree; or 4 years relevant experience with Doctorate Degree
Field(s) of Education:
- Human rights; Social Anthropology; Social work;
- Law; International Development; Social Sciences; or other relevant field.
- (Field(s) of Education marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Certificates and/or Licenses:
- (Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Relevant Job Experience
- 3 years of previous work experience relevant to the function of SGBV in an international context, of which two years in the field and having experience in the field of SGBV prevention, mitigation and response, broader protection or social work involving empowerment of women and girls, gender, child protection, mental health, counselling and working with survivors, humanitarian and development issues.
- Applied experience in survivor-centred approach, SGBV guiding and Case management principles related to SGBV programs.
- Demonstrated knowledge in gender equality and the empowerment of women and girls and apply, promote and integrate gender analysis into humanitarian programming.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and implementation of multi-sectorial responses to SGBV and support to other sectors to mainstream SGBV prevention, risk mitigation and response.
- Demonstrated knowledge and application of SGBV prevention theory and appropriate SGBV prevention and behaviour change strategies at different stages of the humanitarian response.
- Demonstrated knowledge and implementation of prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse responsibilities within the humanitarian response. Knowledge and demonstrated use of UNHCR and Interagency SGBV tools and Guidance.
- Demonstrated understanding of critical issues around SGBV data and knowledge of safe and ethical data collection and analysis, and conducting assessments.
- Demonstrated knowledge of engagement with SGBV Interagency humanitarian architecture.
- Knowledge and experience of participatory approaches to engaging with and mobilizing communities Good understanding of displacement and protection issues including, child protection, education and the application of the Age, Gender and Diversity Policy.
- Completion of UNHCR learning programmes or specific training relevant to functions of position such as: Protection Learning Programme, Operations Management Learning Programme, Middle Management Learning Programme, SGBV and Gender Equality. Experience in a humanitarian context.
- PR-Sexual and Gender Based Violence (SGBV) Coordination & Projects Management
- PR-Sexual and Gender Based Violence (SGBV) Coordination
- PR-Sexual and Gender Based Violence (SGBV) Prevention, risk mitigation and response programming
- PR-Sexual and Gender Based Violence (SGBV) Capacity development and training
- PR-Refugee Women issues
- PR-Interviewing and counselling refugees/asylum seekers and in individual case management
- PR-Age, Gender and Diversity (AGD)
- (Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
- For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
- For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
- For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates.
- C001L3 Accountability Level 3
- C002L3 Teamwork & Collaboration Level 3
- C003L3 Communication Level 3
- C004L3 Commitment to Continuous Learning Level 3
- C005L3 Client & Result Orientation Level 3
- C006L3 Organizational Awareness Level 3
- M002L3 Managing Performance Level 3
- M005L3 Leadership Level 3
- M004L3 Strategic Planning and Vision Level 3
- M003L3 Judgement and Decision Making Level 3
- X007L3 Political Awareness Level 3
- X004L3 Negotiation and Conflict Resolution Level 3
- X001L3 Analytical Thinking Level 3
- X008L3 Stakeholder Management Level 3
|Job Category||Administration/ Office/ Operations, NGO / Community Services|
|Closing Date||9th October, 2019|