Job Title: State Programme Lead
- The WaterAid Nigeria’s Programme Directorate is responsible for engaging with multiple stakeholders in the programmatic value chain to ensure delivery of quality programmes in line with the CP strategy and quality programme standards. With the state as the focus of our work to maximize impact, the position of the State Programme Lead is expected to take significant responsibility for influencing and galvanizing state level actors (policy makers, civil society, private sector and citizens) towards playing their roles to achieve increased access to WASH services in the state.
- The Enugu State programme currently has as its major thematic focus, the application of market led approaches to sanitation with a view to significantly address the sanitation issues in Enugu State and ramp up access. WaterAid also desires that Enugu State replicates the recent Presidential declaration of a state of emergency in WASH and create an enabling environment for private sector participation to improve WASH service delivery in Enugu state.
- This position is to successfully coordinate the implementation of WaterAid’s country strategic initiatives in the state by ensuring that all country thematic activities are properly included in realistic and achievable annual State Programme Plans and delivered through appropriate projects.
- This role will be accountable for the successful delivery of the on-going Sanitation Marketing Expansion and Scaleup project in the State, conceptualizing future programmes/projects and building strong collaborations with fundraising colleagues to design proposals to scale up WaterAid work in Enugu; planning the effective delivery of programmatic outcomes that align with programme delivery plans in line with WaterAid quality programme standards and approaches; building and nurturing effective collaborations and partnerships with stakeholders (including implementing partners) for the delivery of WaterAid programmes /projects and an improved WASH outcome in the designated WaterAid state programme.
- This role will lead the successful implementation to the programme objectives through supporting and strengthening the key partners such as the Enugu State Small Towns Unit (STU), RUWASSA, SUBEBS, Enugu Chambers of Commerce and the Small and Medium Enterprises Agency, Health sector coordinating entities and CSOs; Manage and maintain complex relationships with the state government, private sector and other funding agencies.
Effective Programme Management:
- Lead the detailed analysis and collaborative programme planning to implement and manage projects in Enugu state in accordance with WaterAid’s objectives; monitor and evaluate progress of the programmes and its projects in line with WaterAid’s PMER standards and guidelines.
- Take leadership for all state level delivery and reporting to WaterAid and grant funders on programme activities in the state; Ensure information on ongoing programmes in the state are kept up to date on the Project centre platform.
- Lead the development and maintenance of key strategic relationships from state to local level across the key involved sectors; act as credible WaterAid representative in the State.
- Identify, develop and maintain constructive and cooperative working relationships with partners, state officials and sector stakeholders; act as a worthy and credible WaterAid representative in the State.
- Proactively engage in sector support initiatives and participate in sector coordination meetings at state level, particularly if directly linked to the programme objectives; use these relationships to positively project WaterAid positions on WASH issues and influence policy change in the state.
- Ensure that appropriate programme management, quality assurance and monitoring mechanisms are in place to ensure high quality delivery of work by partners, across all critical programme objectives.
- Work collaboratively with and draw on the wider support and expertise from within WaterAid to develop and improve the initiatives required for the successful delivery of the programme
- Promote and ensure the mainstreaming of WaterAid programme principles and quality standards in all WaterAid’s programme in the State
- Exercise accountability for management of financial budget and resources at state office; ensure timely and accurate budgets and financial reports are generated and submitted to WaterAid Nigeria Country office to facilitate reimbursements of expenses incurred on overhead and programmatic activities.
Advocacy and Communication:
- Lead advocacy at the state, local government and community levels on improved WASH governance, access and hygiene behaviour change.
- Lead on the implementation of WaterAid campaigns on WASH at the state level
- Create linkages and improve access to media at the state
- Develop a work relationship with CSO networks for capacity improvement on Human Right Based Approach (HRBA) to WASH service delivery.
Effective Donor and Grant Management:
- Use knowledge of state context to initiate project concepts/proposals that respond to WASH issues in the state
- Work in active collaboration with fundraising team to market grant programmes/project funding opportunities for state programme/projects to potential funders.
- Develop case studies and success stories to demonstrate impact of WaterAid’s work, enhance the visibility of WANG programmes and use as fundraising materials.
- Regular visits to project sites to ensure projects comply with donor requirements and meet all safeguarding issues.
- Provide leadership in the identification, engagement and effective management of partner institutions/organization relevant to the delivery of the grant targets in the state.
- Coordinate assessment and delivery of targeted organizational development technical assistance to all WaterAid partners in the state (CSO’s, Government agencies, private sector entities and communities) to improve their performance.
Leadership & Team Management:
- Lead the development of activity-based budgets for state program activities across thematic areas.
- Accountable for managing budgets aligning the budget with activities and for monitoring to ensure budget performance of multiple partners is according to plan.
- Ensuring good quality financial reports of programmes and from partners in the state are submitted on time.
- Resolving any inaccuracies in a timely manner.
- Work collaboratively with Finance & Information Technology (FIT) to ensure timely disbursement of funds required by partners.
- Directly supervise state programmes team to deliver high performance.
- Provide guidance and direction to a multi-functional team, including setting performance objectives and monitoring performance of the members of the state team.
- Coach & mentor team members to enable effective delivery of targets and prioritize achievement of the learning & development priorities of the team.