Stress Counsellor is needed at the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
JOB TITLE: Stress Counsellor
Job ID: 30205
LOCATION: Abuja, Nigeria
Practice Area – Job Family: Management – STRESS
Vacancy Type: Service Contract (SC)
Posting Type: Common System
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension
- The stress counsellor is being sought to support the psychosocial and organisational behaviour of UN staff in Nigeria:
- To develop and maintain a sustainable stress management system applicable to all UN Agencies operating in Nigeria and to improve the critical incident stress management preparedness of the UN security system in case of emergencies.
- To provide efficient and effective psychological counselling to staff requiring support related to work-place difficulties or personal issues. A large emphasis is placed on extensive engagement with staff and promotion of staff well-being
- The challenges of working in difficult conditions to bring the much-needed support to our recipients while inherently rewarding, can place a great deal of pressure and stress on UN staff particularly those working in challenging environments.
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced University degree in Psychology, Psychiatry. The candidate must hold active licensure/registration as a mental health professional with a recognized governing association and be a member of that organization in good standing.
- Additional training or certification in a broad range of related fields, such as alcohol/substance abuse, resilience, cross-cultural communication, conflict resolution, mediation, trauma etc. will be an advantage.
- Registration as a Psychologist, Psychiatrist, in the country of origin is required.
- Five (05) years or more of relevant experience in the field of mental health including experience in working in UN or other humanitarian organizations.
- Experience in hardship duty stations providing counselling services to staff working in difficult and hazardous environments is required.
- Broad knowledge of all facets of the field of counselling and ability to provide an environment in which others can talk confidentially and act without fear or repercussions within a climate of established trust.
- Specialist expertise in the assessment of mental health needs and the assessment of risk.
- Ability to manage crisis situations that involve diverse actors and stakeholders.
- Ability to identify clients’ needs and suggest appropriate solutions.
- Excellent communication skills (oral, written and presentations, very good working knowledge of technology tools such as PowerPoint, Excel and Word etc) including the ability to defend and explain difficult issues and positions to staff at all levels.
- Ability to communicate effectively with people of both genders and diverse national and cultural backgrounds.
- Ability to establish and maintain productive partnerships with clients.
- Must be an excellent team player and value working with a multidisciplinary and culturally diverse team.
|Job Category||NGO / Community Services|
|Deadline||3rd May, 2020.|