JOB TITLE: Wash and Shelter Manager (International)
JOB LOCATION: Maiduguri, Borno
Supervised by: Head of Programme
Reporting to: Head of Programme
Area of Operation: Nigeria
Contract Type: National Contract
Employment Period: 12 months
Type of Contract: Expatriate Contract
- The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future.
- We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfillment of the wish to return home.
- The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956 and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Based in Copenhagen (Denmark) and present in forty countries, the Danish Refugee Council is a non-profit-making, politically independent, non-governmental and non-denominational relief organization.
- Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced. All our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency
Danish Refugee Council (DRC), and its Humanitarian Disarmament and Peacebuilding technical unit – the Danish Demining Group (DDG), has had an operational presence in Nigeria since 2015. DRC Nigeria is the largest DRC country mission in the West Africa region and one of the largest DRC country missions globally.
Currently, DRC delivers life-saving assistance and protection to vulnerable, conflict-affected populations including internally displaced persons, returnees and host communities in the areas of armed violence reduction, humanitarian mine action, livelihoods, nutrition and food security, protection, shelter and non-food items (NFI) and water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) in 30+ Local Government Areas (LGAs) across Borno, Adamawa and Yobe states in northeast Nigeria.
- The DRC Nigeria is looking to recruit an experienced, highly- qualified and enthusiastic professional to join our great WASH & Shelter team in Nigeria.
- This role reports to the Head of Programme (HoP), the WASH & Shelter Manager is responsible for coordination and successful implementation of WASH and Shelter activities in in Nigeria – with a primary focus on providing emergency lifesaving access to water, sanitation, hygiene and shelter/NFIs for conflict-affected IDPs/returnees and host communities in North East Nigeria.
- This position is a technical one, requiring a consistent previous experience in a similar position.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the authority of the Head of Programmes, working closely with other sector teams, he / she will be responsible for the following:
- Working closely with the Area Managers, lead and manage the sector team (including people planning, performance, well-being and development)
- Staff capacity building on WASH and Shelter technical competencies.
Technical management of sector projects
- Identify priorities and technically assist the WASH and Shelter projects
Monitoring, Reporting and Development:
- Develop and ensure the correct usage of program monitoring tools
- Quality control and site monitoring to ensure that services provided are according standards
- Program monitoring as per expected outputs and outcomes
- Monitor financial spending and budgets
- Write donor and management reports
- Continuously update project documentation and files
- Explore new business and partnerships.
- Work closely with HoP and Quality Assurance Manager to develop quality proposals, concept notes and budgets
- Develop and undertake needs assessments to inform program design and strategic direction.
- Conduct frequent rapid needs assessment of the situation in the event of emergency in collaboration with other stakeholders to address related problems
External Coordination and Representation
- Share relevant project information with stakeholders
- Participate in relevant coordination meetings at stage and national levels.
- Participate in relevant Task Force meetings as needed
As Manager the post-holder is responsible for the following:
- Accountable for achieving DRC’s strategic goals and objectives within the area of responsibility
- Accountable for making significant decisions on what the unit does: its purpose, functions and role, and for making commitments and decisions that require the expenditure of significant unit resources.
- Accountable for making sound decisions based on DRC policies, MOPs, standards, and the advice of technical experts in DRC
The responsibilities listed in the Job Description are not exhaustive and may be readjusted according to operational needs but will remain in line with the overall purpose of the role.
Experience and Technical Competencies: (include years of experience)
- Bachelor’s Degree in Civil/Water Engineering, Architecture or Construction (certified engineer).
- Master’s degree in above fields will be an added advantage
- At least 5 years’ experience in planning, implementing and evaluating WASH and Shelter/NFI projects.
- Thorough knowledge of WASH and Shelter/NFIs operations and implementation.
- Good IT skills (especially MS Office).
- Highly self-driven while striving for perfection under minimum supervision.
- Hands on experience in Project Planning and Management.
- Experience working in emergency response with INGOs, preferably in a humanitarian context.
- Prior experience in Northeast Nigeria is an advantage.
- Languages: Fluency in written and spoken English and Knowledge of Hausa and/or other languages used in northeast Nigeria would be a plus.
Required Skills & Qualities:
- Core Competencies of DRC:
- Striving for excellence
- Taking the lead
- Demonstrating Integrity
- Ability to work in a multinational and multicultural environment
- Proactivity, with a sound commitment to teamwork and with a spirit of genuine collaboration
- Excellent communication skills, as well as patience and politeness, are required
- Multi-tasking and Organizational skills is a must
- Adaptable and Flexible
- Proven analytical and critical thinking skills
- Exemplary sense of ethics in the workplace
- Team-oriented & good sense of humor.
Salary & Benefits
Management F, level 1 – unaccompanied position.
- All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in English.
- DRC provides equal opportunity in employment and prohibits discrimination in employment on the basis of race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability.
- DRC encourages all applicants to apply and does not practice any discrimination in any recruitment process.
- Applications submitted after the deadline will not be considered.
- Due to the urgency of the position, DRC has the right to recruit a candidate who matches the required profile before the above deadline.
Deadline: June 3, 2021
|Job Category||Administration/ Office/ Operations|