WASH Sector Manager is needed at Action Against Hunger Nigeria
JOB TITLE: WASH Sector Manager
LOCATION: Yobe (Potiskum)
Job type: Full-time
Start date: As Soon As Possible
Direct Line Manager: Project Manager
Tasks and Responsibilities
Objective 1 – Ensure technical implementation of integrated AAH-USA WASH programs in Yobe State:
- Ensure appropriate design, construction and implementation of WASH hardware according to technical standards, as well as proper maintenance and use of WASH equipment.
- Implements, in the framework of projects, the mission’s WASH strategy taking into account the key internal and external documents: AAH charter, 2015 strategic framework, policies (WASH and other AAH sectors), positioning papers (WASH and transversal), national strategies and other specific legal framework enforced by the body/department in charge of WASH issues.
- Develop and ensure the use of appropriate techniques and materials for hygiene promotion and training.
- Ensure contractual activities are completed on time, within budget and with acceptable quality.
- Identify and monitor risks, constraints or escalating issues relating to the management of the WASH program, and inform the SPM accordingly.
- Ensure post-implementation monitoring of AAH WASH structures.
- Support the project manager in developing a Project implementation plan including procurement and distribution schedules of project inputs in line with project logistics/supply chain capacity.
- Responsible for the implementation in the working sites of the safety measures/rules for both AAH teams (including daily hired) and the populations/public.
Objective 2 – To develop AAH understanding of WASH issues in Northern Nigeria:
- Ensure that all data and information is updated, well organized and easily accessible; and that lessons learnt and best practice are capitalized.
- Analyze and report on the evolving humanitarian needs and provide clear recommendations for interventions.
- Carry out needs assessments.
- Participate in the definition of the WASH strategy for AAH as well as identification and design of potential new intervention areas.
Objective 3 – To supervise WASH program staff at field bases:
- Supervision of the WASH program staff; induction, follow up, evaluation, and promotion of positive team dynamics and motivation.
- Take part actively in the recruitment and the training of WASH staff, in cooperation with the HR department.
- Supervision of WASH technical staff carrying out activities in the project.
- Overseeing the work of WASH program staff in order to ensure good compliance of activities within the objectives of the mission and of proposals – this includes regular visits to the field sites in order to evaluate achievements; to discuss the constraints encountered, the possible solutions and to make recommendations for current and future programs.
- Identify (and where possible, provide) learning and training opportunities for WASH staff, and work as a mentor and role model for less experienced staff.
- Establish performance management of staffs under your supervision through effective use of the Performance Management System including the establishment of clear, measurable objectives, on-going feedback, periodic reviews, and fair and unbiased evaluations.
Objective 4 – To actively participate in external coordination within the WASH sector at the state level as well as national level as required:
- Participate in WASH Coordination meeting held at LGA and state levels.
- Develop WASH contacts with other NGOs, agencies and technical bodies.
- Assess the feasibility of AAH technical support and guidance to partner agencies and relevant governmental bodies, specifically the RUWASA.
- Support capacity building of AAH WASH partners in the area of intervention.
- Participate in emergency WASH interventions in Nigeria as required.
- Support WASH coordination efforts outside of Yobe as required.
Objective 5 – Support the project manager in developing proper Monitoring, Evaluation, and Reporting of projects:
- Reporting on attended meetings or training to share with program managers, coordination team as necessary.
- Participate and support the project manager actively in developing M&E and indicator tracking plans for all grants, developing additional M&E tools as necessary to monitor project progress, with support of the M&E team.
- Contribute to appropriate, timely, and accurate data collection against agreed indicators to enable both internal and external reporting.
- Contribute to project monitoring/learning feeds into alterations into the project design.
- Work with the M&E team to identify and incorporate project suitable accountability mechanisms.
- Monitor program progress against both programmatic and budgetary targets, making adjustments to project design as necessary.
- Support the project manager to establish appropriate checks and controls to ensure the quality of WASH construction works.
- Prepare timely and high-quality project reports on project activities in compliance with internal AAH requirements.
Objective 6 – Contribute to the mission’s capitalization and to AAH communication:
- Ensure the compilation on a soft drive of all essential documents related to his/her project (s) and transmits them to the WASH PM and WASH Coordinator who will ensure that technically validated documents are further disseminated.
- Contribute to the definition and implementation of capitalization/technical research topics.
- Contribute to the setup of the AAH WASH database in the base.
- Write and submit a handover report when his/ her employment is overusing the AAH format.
- Engineering, Technology or Public Health Degree (Bachelor level or equivalent/higher) in a field related to Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (Civil/Building/Geology/Public health).
- Additional training courses specific to WASH in development contexts (and/or Program Management professional certifications, strongly preferred.
Skills and Experience:
- Minimum 4 years of relevant working experience, in WASH management/supervisory capacity.
- Strong computer literacy, organizational and planning skills, report writing, budget oversight.
- Commitment to upholding AAH’s values, excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Experience in the INGO / NGO and humanitarian context.
- Experience managing a team of staff.
Minimum Basic Salary
N308,589 Naira per month
Deadline: August 7, 2020
|Job Category||NGO / Community Services|
|Salary||N308,589 Naira per month|